Fin nipping

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Kryten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have just added my first fish to a newly cycled 19 UK gallon tank (about 25 US gallons). Ammonia is zero, as is nitrites. Water and carbon hardness is within limits and the PH is 7.2, temperature 26 degrees, so all fine

One of my Zebra Danios is nipping the fins of one of the painted Platy's. It is always the same danio, and (I think she) is always nipping at the back fin on the poor little platy. The platy has a small chunk from her tail fin and has had the top of her back fin nibbled. Three questions:

1. Will the fins grow back to their former glory
2. Does anyone else find danios slightly aggressive
3. Is there anything I can do to stop this

One more, will the zebra danio fin nip a siamese fighter if I add this in at the weekend?

How many diano's and platies do you have in your new tank? also i would wait for two weeks before adding more fish, to give your filter a change to cope with the biological demand otherwise you will end up with ammonnia and nitrite spikes. very bad for your fish!!!!

I have four zebra danios and three platys of mixed variety. It just seems to be one danio picking on one fish, which is frustrating, as a beautiful platy is slowly being picked to bits

Kryten said:
I have four zebra danios and three platys of mixed variety. It just seems to be one danio picking on one fish, which is frustrating, as a beautiful platy is slowly being picked to bits
If it was me and it is only the one fish nipping I would take it back to the store because if they are one thing I know that it wont stop nipping. the fins will grow back.

Hey B) I have 5 danios, and I have learned from experience and from research after the experience :S that Danios are fin nippers! :X I have 2 female betts in my tank. One of them is pretty dominant and the danios leave her alone, but the other one is more passive and she periodically has chunks missing from her tail and top fin. :/ The bad news is that taking a chunk of fin is just something that danios do. The good news :D is that the fins will grow back, and if you are getting that new fish and it turns out to have a dominant personality, the danios are likely to leave it alone! :nod: So good luck with them danios and your platies, and your maybe soon fish to be! Hope this helps! :thumbs:
~KT~

Most reactions

Back