The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luketendo

BLENNY :O
Reaction score
What should I fill my filters with?

They are filtering a 120l.

Juwel filter is going to have a combo of coarse and fine sponges. I don't know if any of the others are needed, if so tell me.

Fluval 104 I'm not sure about, I'm wanting to stick to fluval media as it's easier and available. I know I want biomax.

Again I don't know if wool is needed?

What do you think I should fill my filters with?

By the way the tank is going to be heavily planted and my water is hard.

I have softwater fish (tetras barbs and angels and stuff), I don't know if I need peat or not.

I am not a planted tank expert or anything, but when I did make my attempt at keeping one I was told that you might not need a whole ton of filtration on them becuase the plants deal with a lot of the nitrogenous compounds. I could be wrong on that but I eventually just filled my filter up with some filter floss to take out any particulate matter ('polish' the water I guess) and never had any other problems...except wanting to get back into breeding cichlds, which is why I got out of plants.

Ok then I have an idea. How long does the filter floss last?

Juwel Filter - Sponges and poly pad.

Fluval 104 - Bottom basket pre-filter (solid ceramic rings no holes), 2nd polywool, 3rd biomax (ceramic rings with tiny holes.)

That'd work, depends how long the poly stuff works.

Ok then I have an idea. How long does the filter floss last?

Juwel Filter - Sponges and poly pad.

Fluval 104 - Bottom basket pre-filter (solid ceramic rings no holes), 2nd polywool, 3rd biomax (ceramic rings with tiny holes.)

That'd work, depends how long the poly stuff works.

Yep sounds good and would work fine but i would make a couple of changes.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the polyfilter pad. It does a brilliant job but costs loads and really wont be needed. Its a good idea to keep some to hand though just incase you ever have any issues (ie an ammonia spike).

The pre-filter media shouldnt really be needed in a 104 as the foam pads will have taken out any large particals before it even gets to this stage. This kind of pre-filter media is only useful if it is in place before the foam pads.

I would fill the bottom basket with filter wool (replace regularly), the middle basket with bio-max and then use purigen in the last basket or more bio-max.

Purigen:
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=103

Yeah I've heard of purigen I will probably use that once I am out of debt (like 6 months.)

Right now my bacteria colony is on the pre filter rings so I will replace half one week then the other half when the next (or when water stats are ok).

Ok I'll probably go to the fish shop next week or something because the tank is getting set up tomorrow and I don't really want to make my parents take me this week.

How much biomax would I need?

In terms of boxes/weight I'm not sure I'm afraid. I bought a bulk load of it years ago so just grab a handful as and when I need it :)

You only need to fill up 1 basket (2 max) so probably 1 small box will do the job. If you have a spare course foam pad sitting around you could always cut that up into small chunks and use that for bio media in one of the baskets. Just make sure you dont overfill it or it could really restrict the water flow.

Ok.

My Juwel filter is stocked with what it came with, so I'll use it all until It needs replacing.

It's now all set up except for substrate, water, fish and plants.

(Also the fluval filter.)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back