Filtration Update!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Hey @AbbeysDad

I really appreciate your response.

Itā€™s responses like yours an @Colin_T that help the community grow!

I can definitely vouch for the water changing and I agree with fresh water to reduce toxins is a definite must an the inhabitants will absolutely love this also.

My setup of filtration I have built is to ā€œpossiblyā€ create a denitrifying machine rather than the nitrate factory that a majority of people have in there cabinets due to poor setup of there canisters aswell as the wrong type of biological media.

The extensive research I have done led me to matrix and bioHome ultimate, I have used matrix before discovering bioHome and I must say there is a substantial difference is quality.

The matrix in my own opinion is too dense and the pumice stone varies way to much I have even found clumps of glass within some of my matrix I purchased, some stone was lighter than others as well as rough outer edges and felt more porous, others were heavy and smooth.

The consistency of this product threw me off and thatā€™s why I switched to bioHome very fast as time is of an essance when coming to fish keeping an the colonization of beneficial bacteriaā€™s.

BioHome ultimate is a man made product using sintered glass and added minerals to aid in the production of bacteria. Itā€™s a very consistent media witch as a result it helps you achieve the right measurements required for weight ratio to water ratio witch has been discovered through years of research to what works best for different applications.

If denitrifying bacteria is not colonized within my system thatā€™s fine as I will still conduct water changes regardless. Although if this is achieved it would be a great breakthrough! I should know in a few months if my nitrates stabilize then itā€™s a success and I have a lot of belief this will happen.

Richard Thew the ā€œpondguruā€ is a wonderful person I have been in contact with him for while now as heā€™s been assisting me with my filtration set up as well as some other things. He just wants to help an just wants to show the world it is possible.

I personally donā€™t believe people would go out there way to respond or help if there just in the market to rip people off with nonsense assumptions and false information. He has numerous videos on YouTube guiding people how to correctly setup there canisters so they function correctly and donā€™t clog up there biological media through poor mechanical filtration orders witch is super critical for the growth of anaerobic bacteria.

I have recently seen the filtration you mentioned with laterite and clay citty litter. It sounds plausible and looks like it would work, unfortunately for me I donā€™t have a sump filter and it sounds like it should have the same effect as the bioHome ultimate although going back to clay media, it a ceramic type with bioHome being a new sintered glass construction.

I am feeling very positive of the bioHome media for many reasons and Iā€™m really excited to see some results! Itā€™s a work in progress! For a worst case scenario if anaerobic bacteria doesnā€™t grow an exist within my system at least I will have a great colony of aerobic bacteria I guess!

Time will tell and it would be nice to gauge the inhabitants behavior over a 2 to 3 an even 4 week period to assess the water conditions during this time hopefully showing minimal traces of nitrates.

In addition to this I must add Iā€™m a fond believer that a lot of fish keepers do infact over feed to ridiculous measures witch also lead to unnecessary excess toxins produced within the aquarium and this also takes me back to the inhabitants natural state in the wild where they donā€™t have humans feeding them daily. I think the biggest misconception is over feeding but hey if one is willing to do water changes on a daily or weekly basis then by all means over feed haha

My next mission moving forward is applying the True UV sterilization method to the system to aid against parasite, disease and virus out breaks through correct installation to achieve the level 1 or even level 2 types of sterilization.

I am still doing my research and it seems the people over at American aquarium products have the most knowledge when coming to UV sterilization and the 3 levels; clarification, level 1 sterilization and level 2 sterilization. All 3 levels being categorized through extensive research from the founder of AAP. It all starts with some basic elements of wattage, water flow and volume. Now there is a lot more to it with construction of the sterilizer and lamp spacing etc although they have that covered wit the products they market.

I have my eye on the Vecton V2 200 8 watt Sterilizer and powering it with its own dedicated Eheim classic 150 2211 with a flow rate of 300Lph witch will give me level 2 sterilization.

Iā€™m still looking further into this but Iā€™m getting very close!

Most reactions

Back