Filtration system advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ill update the thread once I have the new filter up and running.

Very informative, Mark. Like I thought, things are more complex than "this" or "that." Based on your description you need a way to suspend\circulate the poop bits in the water column long enough to be adsorbed/processed by your filter. Based on my personal experiences this is possible. How do your discus respond to multi-directional and moderately strong currents?

Very informative, Mark. Like I thought, things are more complex than "this" or "that." Based on your description you need a way to suspend\circulate the poop bits in the water column long enough to be adsorbed/processed by your filter. Based on my personal experiences this is possible. How do your discus respond to multi-directional and moderately strong currents?

They cope well when i put my Koralia powerhead on. I leave it on when I do a water change to circulate the heat while the filter is off and Iā€™ve seen no issues. I will point it from one end to the other to see if it moves the pieces to the filter intake.

@Colin I setup the DIY Vac and its done a really good job of manually removing the detritus from the base. Iā€™m going to use it permanently now during water changes.

The filter system isnā€™t here yet. Had to remind the seller to dispatch it!

They cope well when i put my Koralia powerhead on. I leave it on when I do a water change to circulate the heat while the filter is off and Iā€™ve seen no issues. I will point it from one end to the other to see if it moves the pieces to the filter intake.

Try aiming the c-pump upward towards the surface at a 10-15 degee angle. The highest point on the mounted pump should be an inch or 2 down from the surface. Doing so can create a laminar vortex that keeps particles spinning around just waiting to be sucked up. Doing so does a LOT for water clarity and general health. I leave mine run expect during water changes. If the water level drops to far it'll turn my tank into bubble froth. Did you mention that you use sand for substrate?

The filter system isnā€™t here yet. Had to remind the seller to dispatch it!

I got the same treatment from a seller in NH. But I'm being patient... ā˜ŗļø

Heya Mark, have your installed your filter yet? After a weeks worth of shipping BS and a dead 406, I got my FX4 today.

The Fx4 is much quieter and more capable electronically than the FX6. It has a couple or 3 strange/annoying design decisions that fluval should have addressed, but so has every Fluval I've owned. However, IMO it'll carry up to 200g in style. Good luck and safe waters all.

Most reactions

Back