Filtration needed

Downunder73

Reaction score
I have built my 550 gallon aquarium I need to know how much filtration is needed I have two custom built canister filters with two 900 gph pumps that gives me 1800 gph I've researched and there are several places that say 2cs 4xs 6cs of water how much do you guys think I need or will the 1800goh be enough

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What sort of fish are you going to keep in the tank?

Are you going to have live plants in the tank?

So as I have learned you should have a flow rate of 5 - 6 times the volume of your tank. However... It is understood by me and I could be wrong... Having 2 filters, each wont wont work as efficient as it would as if it was the only one. So you are losing flow rate on each individual cannister if they are working together. Anyone else hear or understand that would love to hear input

Think of it like this. Louis Hamilton and Max Verstappen are on the grid in damn fast cars. The green light comes on. They both give it 100%.
Max and Louis's cars are independant of each other, as are your pumps. If they are both using a different input hose why would they suffer a loss of power?

I'm talking efficiency not power. From what I have researched over the years water volume and surface area will influence the density of waste and of oxygen in the water. Wont this directly impact the efficiency of the biological canister filtration over all? Like I said I'm not a genius but over years this is what I researched and have learned. I think it's a pretty good discussion science wise.

Yes all my other tanks have 30 - 40 gallon sumps I just want something different thats why I've built two canister filters
Cool, that is interesting, do you have any pictures of the canisters. I am looking at creating a sump for an currently unused tank specifically for the same reason you built the canisters.

I used the same thing as the king of diy did on YouTube. Goto YouTube and type in the king of diy 5 gallon bucket canister filter

I used the same thing as the king of diy did on YouTube. Goto YouTube and type in the king of diy 5 gallon bucket canister filter
The reason I used canister other than sump was two things its cheaper and when the power fails I won't have all that water on my floor

I have been drawing up some plans. The idea of water flooding into the floor is not a great thought, I worry about that with my current Fluval should something go wrong. I was going to add redundant back flow arrestors on the outlet side and give the sump enough reservoir but that adds complexity. I will view the video.

Those filters should be fine for the tank with angelfish and plants.

----------------------
If you have a sump that overflows when there is a power failure, you need a bigger sump or less water in the sump when it's running.

A sump should be big enough to hold the excess water that drains out of the main display tank when the power is off. This stops the water overflowing out of the sump and turning the room into a swamp.

Most reactions

Back