Filters..internal Vs external

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

OscarRomeoFiveTwo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Filters....what's more effective?

2 x Internal filters with 2000 L/PH flow total or 1 external with the same output? Or no real difference?

Also if using 2 internal what's more effective? Putting both on the same side of the tank or one each side or opposing corners?

It depends on the environment you are trying to reproduce. And the size of the swimming pool you have.

Ex:
For strong current happy river fishes, I would put all the input on one side and the outputs on the other, to create a river alike flow of current from one side to the other.

For low current loving fishes I would try to install the inputs and outputs in a way that they cancel their own current as much as possible...

External filters = more place inside the tank + possibility to use baffles and rain bars.

If you have the dough... Go with 2 external filters... To reach the L/PH you want... If you are about to put expensive fishes in there. Having 2 filters also acts as backup in case one of them fails. You can also alternate maintenance between them and always maintain a good bacteria colony.

It depends on the environment you are trying to reproduce. And the size of the swimming pool you have.

Ex:
For strong current happy river fishes, I would put all the input on one side and the outputs on the other, to create a river alike flow of current from one side to the other.

For low current loving fishes I would try to install the inputs and outputs in a way that they cancel their own current as much as possible...

External filters = more place inside the tank + possibility to use baffles and rain bars.

If you have the dough... Go with 2 external filters... To reach the L/PH you want... If you are about to put expensive fishes in there. Having 2 filters also acts as backup in case one of them fails. You can also alternate maintenance between them and always maintain a good bacteria colony.

I'm currently running 2 Fluval F4s (they were what I had when I got the tank) and already had lots of spare media / foam for them and both already was running on another tank.

Im running 2 as I was advised that a turnover of 5 to 10 times the volume is what to aim for with Mbuna?? And each is 1000L/H so a total of 2000L/H, running side by side on the side of the tank.

I'm just wondering if it's worth investing in a canister and if it would make much difference to the filtration. Seeing them in the tank doesn't bother me just looking for the most effective/ efficient / cost effective method

For this point... There is not much difference between type of filters on the flow output. they all match their ratings.

The biggest difference is the volume of filtering media you can use...

The bigger the better.

Most reactions

Back