Filter To Strong?

Hipnotik

New Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey I currently have a newly set up 46gallon bowfront w/ a marineland c-360 canister filter running on it. My question is if I wanna stock small fish like guppies,tetras,gouramis,ect then will this filter be to strong for them and result in them getting sucked against the intake and drowing? it also seems 2 cause a bit of a current and I'm not sure if that would be an issue either (seeing as gouramis need the surface to breathe) any input would be appreciated :)
 
i would just wait and see lol,only introduce a small number to start with. i should imagine it would be okay. its not like your tank is small. they will stay away from it. i would reccommend a spray bar though
 
I'm wondering if guppies may struggle with a strong current. Their ornate tails don't allow for them tobe the strongest swimmers in the world. Gouramis, from my understanding, don't like a strong current either and like a reasonably settled surface :)
 
I'm wondering if guppies may struggle with a strong current. Their ornate tails don't allow for them tobe the strongest swimmers in the world. Gouramis, from my understanding, don't like a strong current either and like a reasonably settled surface :)

Some Guppy experts and breeders say keeping them in a strong current actually strengthens their muscles and makes their tails stronger and thus better.
 
The concern about flow shows that you are aware of their possible needs and I think that's great. IME I have put a betta into a tank more than once that had very strong currents from the filter. What happened was that he avoided the highest flow area at first but as he got stronger with the exercise, even a betta could deal with very strong filter flows. My idea on it is that, like other animals, when they need to exercise, the fish get stronger and are actually better off because they are getting a workout. If they don't like the flow its pretty easy for them to avoid it but most end up playing with it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top