Filter Suggestions For Betta Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sebbutcher

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 22 litre tropical tank by AquaNano which I purchased from Pets at Home and my betta fish lives in.

BettaTank.jpg

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/aqua-one/aqua-nano-22l-tank-%28store-only%29

It's been running for just under a year and the betta is plenty happy in there, but I'm looking to rework the tank to remove the black fake wall.

Basically, behind the fake wall, there a 3 separate chambers which house the pump, heater, sponge and filter cartridges. The problem is, these chambers are small, difficult to clean and quickly start restricting water flow, which causes them to have a lower water level than the main tank and ultimately means the pump is not fully submerged, takes in air and spits bubbles in to the tank.

Additionally, the pump is really a bit too strong for the betta and means he's unable to swim around the top left hand side of the tank without being blown around which isn't nice. This also means I can't currently have floating plants in the aquarium as they also just get blown about.

So I'm looking to replace the current filtration system with a new filter to address these problems. I've been looking at various nano filters but I wondered if anyone has any suggestions, ultimately I just want something which is adequate for a small tank and doesn't produce a strong flow, so it's suitable for the betta and also some floating plants.

Any suggestions welcome!

I have this filter in my betta's tank. It has a mini spraybar with adjustable flow rate; the media is a hollow sponge with carbon inside the hollow. All I did was empty the carbon out and stuff the sponge from the previous, worn out filter inside. I've had this filter a few months now and the only downside I can find is that the media box can be cracked - I broke the corner off mine, but then I am well known for being clumsy!

Thanks essjay - could I ask how large your betta tank is? I've been considering this filter as it is designed for tanks up to 27 litres max, which in theory, sounds like it would be better suited (less powerful) than a filter designed for up to 50 litres but I slightly put off by the cheap price and I've never seen that brand before.

LyraGuppi - I'd not actually considered a sponge only filter, thanks for putting that out there. However, I'd prefer to run a filter from a power head rather than an air pump if possible as I'm not a big fan of the noise - is that practical? I'm also hoping to add quite a few more plants once the tank has been modified and I've also read that air pump's / air stone's are not great for planted tanks?

I have air pumps running all my planted tanks, they work fine. ^-^

I get the noise issue though, it's practical. :D I don't mind the noise, but the other residents in my house do xD

sebbutcher said:
Thanks essjay - could I ask how large your betta tank is? I've been considering this filter as it is designed for tanks up to 27 litres max, which in theory, sounds like it would be better suited (less powerful) than a filter designed for up to 50 litres but I slightly put off by the cheap price and I've never seen that brand before.

The tank was described as 32 litres but that included the plastic frame on the outside of the tank. I measured the water in and it took 24 litres to fill it. This filter can be turned down really low, almost to off.

essjay said:

The tank was described as 32 litres but that included the plastic frame on the outside of the tank. I measured the water in and it took 24 litres to fill it. This filter can be turned down really low, almost to off.

Sounds like this is the one for me then.

Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back