Filter Recommendations For Adf's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish_Girl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Basically as it says in the title, im in need of a recommendation of a new filter that is suitable for ADF's. About a month ago we got 4 male Guppies to go with our two Oto's and 5 ADF's. now we only have the frogs left :sad: Seems getting the Guppies messed up the ammonia and despite daily water changes we have still been unable to bring the ammonia down to the normal level. The frogs seem completely uneffected but its killed all the fish we had. We also got a bad infestation of Planaria which ive been told is due to the ammonia spike. There isnt anywhere near as many Planaria in the tank as there was, but they are definately still present.

The filter we have at the moment is an under water one and has been in the tank since before we got it-we were given it off the OH's Dad, so its been in there for over 4 years. we think its definately time to change it as it obviously cant handle whatever is going on in our tank at the moment. we also plan on eventually taking the gravel out and maybe swapping to sand, but obviously need to get a new filter in there before even thinking about that.

We have a Juwel Rekord 60, can someone please recommend a filter that will be safe to use with the frogs but also handle our tank?

Hi all,

Basically as it says in the title, im in need of a recommendation of a new filter that is suitable for ADF's. About a month ago we got 4 male Guppies to go with our two Oto's and 5 ADF's. now we only have the frogs left :sad: Seems getting the Guppies messed up the ammonia and despite daily water changes we have still been unable to bring the ammonia down to the normal level. The frogs seem completely uneffected but its killed all the fish we had. We also got a bad infestation of Planaria which ive been told is due to the ammonia spike. There isnt anywhere near as many Planaria in the tank as there was, but they are definately still present.

The filter we have at the moment is an under water one and has been in the tank since before we got it-we were given it off the OH's Dad, so its been in there for over 4 years. we think its definately time to change it as it obviously cant handle whatever is going on in our tank at the moment. we also plan on eventually taking the gravel out and maybe swapping to sand, but obviously need to get a new filter in there before even thinking about that.

We have a Juwel Rekord 60, can someone please recommend a filter that will be safe to use with the frogs but also handle our tank?

with just the frogs you don't NEED a filter - - I actually really like just tossing in some water wisteria, and leaving it to float. it feeds of the waste that the frogs produce, and gives them a great place to play, hide, relax, float.....well pretty much all frog activities lol. then just do water changes as necessary. you could also just go for a small internal filter that is done with an airline, that won't cause too much surface/water movement :good:

right now I am experimenting with all filterless methods and they are working quite well....my 35 gallon with african clawed frogs has just water wisteria and banana plants in it....what started out as a fist sized clump of wisteria in january is now covering the whole top three to four inches of my tank....and my water stats are perfect :)... I am doing the same thing with my 10 gallon african dwarf frog tank and am really liking the results :fun:

also - - def approve of the change to sand....the little guys seem to like it so much better and its much easier on their bellies!

Thanks for the reply. I do need a filter as i do plan on adding fish again once the water problem is sorted out. thinking of maybe just getting a Betta this time, but will think about that some more once the tank is sorted!

So what sort of filter is recommended to make sure it isnt too strong for the frogs? sorry im not that knowledgeable about things to do with the tanks etc as our tank was already established when it was given to us and apart from ornaments/fish/plants, nothing has changed! :blush: The OH's Dad was going to pick us up a new filter this week but as the only time he ever owned frogs they died within days(possibly because of the fish he already had or due to his own filter-he tends to just listen to everything the LFS tells him, which he should be able to rightly do. problem is that the LSF dont know as much as they should :rolleyes: ) so basically i dont really trust him to pick up a suitable one lol and would rather either get one ourselves or put him on the right track of a suitable one.

a gentle current is needed for both bettas and ADFs....internal sponge filters work well, they do not have a strong suction or current. which ever filter you choose, really inspect the intake/uptake valve. if the slots look like a little froggy hand can get stuck, then it will. (they are cute, but not Einsteins!)

if the filter you pick up has large slots, you can cover it with a nylon/panty hose. (sounds silly, but it will save your frogs life!)

I have an eheim filter with a spray bar in a 55 gal tank housing one frog atm, does this make it difficult for him to swim? cos he does actually swim rather strangely most of the time...

actually yes, it could be. also, how tall is the water level? that could also be a problem....if it is taller than 16 inches (which for a 55 gallon i would assume it would be...) they your frog has to struggle just to breathe....this really wears them down...he is probably also in a constant state of exhaustion.

often, it is recommended that the height for ADFs is not more than 12 inches of water, 16 inches being the most... i would consider rehoming him or picking up a tiny 1 gallon for him....get a 2.5 and get two more for company! they love company!

I think the heights ok cos I had him in a 1 gal tank on his own for 2 weeks, but he swam the same in that, that also had a filter in it tho..
My bf got him a friend but he didnt even last 24 hours, he was HUGE, really bloated or something, no idea what was wrong with him shouldve gone back to the shop >_<

now, obviously they swim different than fish, but what do you mean by "swims weird"? is it possible for you to use your phone or camera to take a short video of him and post it here?

well he swims in all different angles, legs everywhere, then sometimes just floats down on his back and lays belly up but when i go to touch him hes fine,
altho he generally doesn't do alot of swimming at all

That is actually normal swimming for a dwarf....they can range from sporadic, to hanging out, to "zen" poses (balancing on one foot and remaining still) to appearing dead.....enough to keep you guessing.....

Worrying swimming would be not using a leg, not being able to balance, trying to escape from the tank....which they will try to do if the water is really poor to too cold/hot

So erm, does anyone have any filter recommendations then? lol im looking for specific recommendations, just wanting to know what people here use with their frogs really so that i know its safe before paying out for one.

Whispers are good - -quiet and gentle - - and you can always cover the intake tube with a nylon held on with a rubber band or hair elastic :good:

I use a Hagen Elite Stingray 15 for my 60 litre, its fine with ammonia (during fishless cycling i got it up to 8ppm in 12 hours) but not so good with picking up waste, although tbh my tank is a bit overstocked I think. It is frog safe and quiet. Only thing is it comes with zeolite and carbon cartridges, remove these. Zeolite gives a 'false cycle' and will starve your filter bacteria.

Dont forget to put the sponges from your current filter in your new one, whatever it is, no matter if they fit or not :)

You could also add a couple of apple snails to your tank along with the betta. And maybe some shrimp? Watch shrimp with the elite filter though, bee shrimp got caught in it. Ghosts and cherries seem okay though, although I think my frogs or fish ate my cherries when I went away, so be careful. My remaining frog hasnt eaten my ghost shrimp though, theyre too big :)

Hope my ramblings helped a little.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back