Filter 'popping Noise'

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rossyboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys, i've got a Tetratec EX600 and a Fluval 205 external filters.. just recently about once an hour (sometimes less), I hear this almighty popping noise, as if air is trapped and is escaping.

I know what it sounds like when air normally releases, bubbling, a little noise but i'm talking about a real loud POP as if something is due to bust open?

I've had both filters open ensured they're healthy looking inside, etc and primed air through when re-attaching.

They both run fine, same amount of output etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm just concerned i'll wake up one day to a mess lol

i have a fluval 205 filter
it makes a grinding noise quite frequently
but it tends to stop when i shake the filter side to side gently
air escapes out of the filter after doing so..
ive never heard a pop but ive heard a bubbling noise..

i have a fluval 205 filter
it makes a grinding noise quite frequently
but it tends to stop when i shake the filter side to side gently
air escapes out of the filter after doing so..
ive never heard a pop but ive heard a bubbling noise..

Yer, i get that too... i'm not a fan of that filter, pretty useless compared to the tetra.

But it's more of a pop, similar infact (don't laugh) to that noise u can make with ur thumb in your cheek lol!

It could be an impeller fault, something in the motor unit, bearings or air in the filter. If you are getting this happening regularly and air is escaping from the outlet, there is an air leak somewhere. Are any air bubbles entering the uptake for the filter? If so, you need to stop them from doing so, and the noises should stop when you do.

If no air bubbles are entering the intake, either the filter is not priming corrently, or one of your seals are on their way out... Try gently rocking the filter, as fifefish describes above, untill all the air is cleared. If the noises do not stop, leave the filter to stand for a while, switched off. The offending failed seal with start to seap water and show itself fo you. The seaping seal needs replacing and the fault will fix.

Carefully examine the impeller for any sign of wear, loose heads from the magnet (The TT has a fixed shaft that does not move relative to the magnet, where as the fluval has the head rotate just shy of 306 degrees before comming to a stop) The impeller should not move in a sideways motion on either impeller with slight pressure, so check for this. There will be slight veticl play on the head of the Fluval filter impeller, but none in the case of the TT. Mount the impeller on the shaft, and see if there is any sidewards wobble (careful with the shaft, it is delicate to sideward pressure).

Finaly, check over the bearing(s in case of TT) and the impeller cover in the Fluvals case for any sign of wear or rubber digradation (chapping, hardening e.t.c)

Which filter is it that is caursing issues?

All the best
Rabbut

It could be an impeller fault, something in the motor unit, bearings or air in the filter. If you are getting this happening regularly and air is escaping from the outlet, there is an air leak somewhere. Are any air bubbles entering the uptake for the filter? If so, you need to stop them from doing so, and the noises should stop when you do.

If no air bubbles are entering the intake, either the filter is not priming corrently, or one of your seals are on their way out... Try gently rocking the filter, as fifefish describes above, untill all the air is cleared. If the noises do not stop, leave the filter to stand for a while, switched off. The offending failed seal with start to seap water and show itself fo you. The seaping seal needs replacing and the fault will fix.

Carefully examine the impeller for any sign of wear, loose heads from the magnet (The TT has a fixed shaft that does not move relative to the magnet, where as the fluval has the head rotate just shy of 306 degrees before comming to a stop) The impeller should not move in a sideways motion on either impeller with slight pressure, so check for this. There will be slight veticl play on the head of the Fluval filter impeller, but none in the case of the TT. Mount the impeller on the shaft, and see if there is any sidewards wobble (careful with the shaft, it is delicate to sideward pressure).

Finaly, check over the bearing(s in case of TT) and the impeller cover in the Fluvals case for any sign of wear or rubber digradation (chapping, hardening e.t.c)

Which filter is it that is caursing issues?

All the best
Rabbut

Great advice, just the mind i was looking for.

I don't know which it is yet as they're sat next to eachother so i don't know how i'm going to do it. Each time it 'pops' i run to the tank to check for any signs or leaks, etc etc.

There's no possibility of it being an air pump is their? I've got a tetratec pump, with the double output on it.

It could quite possibly be the air pump also. I think you need to make a note of how regularly this happens, and then start singleing out the faulty divise(s). If you find it, let me/us know. If the issue's caurse cannot be seen clearly to you or via a photo, I can take a look at it for you at work on Saturday (Contact me via PM for that) or I/we can try to talk you through the fix over the forum itself :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back