Filter Numbers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ferg1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all,

A question I've been meaning to ask for a few weeks now..

My 5ft tank currently has 2 filters, an external Fluval 405 model and a Fluval internal filter (U4 I, the largest of the range anyway). Now my water quality has always been spot on, never any issues regarding that. However, I think one of the main issues with my tank is that because of the length (and the water outlet for the external and the internal filter are on opposite sides of the tank) of the tank, there may be a chance that some areas of the tank are not fully circulated. I notice when doing water changes that the left side of the tank (which is where the water is pumped back in and where the internal filter sits) is always full of debris and waste amongst the rocks and wood, this does not happen on the right side where the external filter takes its water out from).

I'm now considering adding a 3rd filter, in having a 2nd external Fluval 405 (well, now the 406 model) or perhaps the smaller 306 version, so that I can have an outlet pipe in the left back corner to hopefully stop waste from settling. I am worried though that you can 'over filter' the water, or am I just being silly? :blush: Alternatively, if extra filtration is not necessary, I have also been looking at these water pumps that are around. Would it be more beneficial to stick to 2 filters and simply submerge a water pump to the bottom of the tank on the left side, this would then ensure that waste cannot settle and will be blown up into the internal filter, or pushed down the tank to be collected in the external?

I'd hate to be spending money on another filter if a cheaper pump would be more practical.

Thanks for any help.

i've got 3 external filters on my 6ft, now the flow and water turnover is just right, no deadspots = no debris collecting

How do you have them positioned? Do you have all the water returning on the same side or do you have water pumped back in on both sides?

all flow in from one side, out in the oposite corner, then added a 3000lph pump in the opposite side of the outflow to get a circular effect of water flow

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back