Filter Media Query

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lunar Jetman

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just after your thoughts on the types of media you have and recommend. I currently have sponges, polishing pads(or wool/floss depending on what's on offer/cheapest at the time!) and activated carbon in my filter. I've also got a bag of peat I'm going to remove as I think it's run its course. I was using it to help soften the water/lower PH a bit but I'm now going to remove it.

I've read before that carbon isn't strictly necessary and I've nearly stopped using it before but wondered what you guys are doing filter media wise. I've just got some carbon I'm considering returning to my LFS to replace with some filter wool or something else I need.

The only real reason to have carbon in your filter is to help remove any medications after you're finished with them. The carbon only lasts a few days.

I use sponges in all my filters, plus ceramic noodles. I doubt I'll ever have to buy media again.

That's what I'm thinking. Replace the carbon I bought with some more noodles and floss.

i use sponges/foam.....as much as possible that will fit into the filter....thats it

I have ceramic noodles and sponges topped with filter floss in one of my filters, the other one which I just have to move the water (love the silence of it and a power head has way too much humming for my liking) is filled with only filter floss.

I use sponge, ceramic, and some floss to polish. Almost had an argument at the lfs about the need for carbon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back