Filter Flow Is Poor

debiasir

fancy goldfish rule!!!
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Jersey, Channel Islands, UK
Hi my ehiem filter flow is so poor its like a trickle, the filter is not to old at around 3 months max. there is no kinks in the hoses. any idea how to improve flow. if not can any one recomend an internal filter for a 190 litre tank

thanks
 
Try cleaning the filter media and especially the filter inlet. I have to clean the filter inlet every few days as I have a planted tank and all the mulm and dead leaves etc congrigate in and around the inlet. You should then find that the flow will be alot better. If it is anything like my fluval, the inlet will have a ball valve which will block the inlet if too much muck gets in. Hopethis helps. If not, then check for airlocks and any damage to the pump impellor. But please remember, only clean the filter media in tank water that you have removed from the tank as you risk loosing the bacteria colony if you use tap water.
 
cool i just cleaned the media as i was doing a water change.

ill try the other stuff later

gonna buy a suitable internal as a back up just incase its dying
 
Sadly a 2213 (even though stated for up to 250 litres) cannot possibly cope with such a large tank. There is nothing wrong with your filter, but it will never do the job you'd like it to do. I run exactly the same (new) filter on a 2ft 19 gallon tank - get the picture ? :/

This is what I've always suspected and Neale's confirmed it:

Adding anything to a filter decreases its capactity. Realistically, downgrade what the manufacturer puts on the box by 30-50%. So a 1000 litre/hour filter may well only turn the water over by 500 lph once the filter is filled with media and some fish/plant waste as well.

Cheers,

Neale


So in essence you need to run at least a Eheim 2217 or 2026. My 2224 I don't even feel suffices.
 
It sould be fine - I've done it once :)
Though you'll be surprised how much the internal filter makes a difference if the external is underpowered.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top