Filter, current, circulation

StarOrbs

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank with an emperor 400 on it and it seems to create a pretty large current which is moving the plants quite a bit, which I've heard isn't good. If I slow down the filter then there won't be as much filtration. So I'm wondering if it would be best to get another emperor 400 and have two on boths sides of the tank and then slow down the filter. I could also get a canister filter but I'm not really sure what I should do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Perhaps the ideal and cheapest thing to do would be put a sponge filter in the opposite corner behind my piece of driftwood and use my powerhead.

I also have a 55 gallon with an Emperor 400. I'm in my 10th day of fishless cycling.

I have both biowheels going at a medium pace and the current is somewhat strong but not bad by any means. I have amazon swords under the output area (their tops are 4-5 inches lower than the surface) and they are doing well. THey move in the water a little - but it actually looks quite natural, the way a stream should look.

Most reactions

Back