Film On Water

-SPB-

Fish Addict
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
778
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
Stevenage, UK
For a little while now i've had this film covering the whole surface of my tank. I have no idea what it is. I've read a few threads saying food can be the culprit. So I've tried various flake and currently I'm using TetraMin, but no joy. I've used tissue paper to soak it up, but it comes back. All water stats seem to be fine.

My weekly cleaning schedule is usually 50% once a week, but this is going to change to twice weekly, as this will be better for the occupants of the tank.

I'm thinking this is giving me water quality issues as I'm currently trying to clear a bout of columnaris with Myxazin.

I have bogwood in the tank but this has been there years, and some plants, but no CO2.

Anyhow, here is a Video, you can see the clear water in a circle shape where the air bubbles hit the water, then you can see the film.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibJfNKCqkeI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibJfNKCqkeI[/URL]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to put I Feed frozen Brine Shrimp Aswell
 
yes usually this come's from feeding, my dried mealworm's leave's this after........I leave it sometime's bringing the filter out of the water it spray's abit algitation seems to get rid......I've heard of people dragging newspaper from one end to other :good:
 
Not had this problem with fish tanks but I used to get really scummy water in the turtle tanks (floating skin and stuff). I changed my filter so they run into the water. If you can you raise the spray bar (in the video) just above the water line it should help. I did this and it broke up all the film off the top of the water and I have not had the problem since.
 
Cheers for the replies guys. I may try the newspaper trick although I'm a bit worried about the ink causing more hassle than good, I'll do a little more research.

I've tried the surface agitation and while it mixes it up a bit, within 10 mins or so it's back.
 
arg thats anoying maby instead of using the food you have now try a differnt one, flakes auck at polution problems i used wafers and pellets
 
see how your hole's from spray bar are pointing down, twist the tube to point holes towards suface, this will break up the water a lot more :good:

Cheers for the suggestion, but it doesn't really have an effect, it breaks up whatever it is directly where the jets of water are, but doesn't do anything else to the rest of the tank. It's like some mutant substance that won't go away lol!!!

I might remove the plants for a day and see what happens. Apart from that I'm at a loss. The only other thing I can think of is to completely empty the tan, clean, and refill (put fish and filter in large container for a few hours), but this is the very last resort.
 
For a little while now i've had this film covering the whole surface of my tank. I have no idea what it is. I've read a few threads saying food can be the culprit. So I've tried various flake and currently I'm using TetraMin, but no joy. I've used tissue paper to soak it up, but it comes back. All water stats seem to be fine.

My weekly cleaning schedule is usually 50% once a week, but this is going to change to twice weekly, as this will be better for the occupants of the tank.

I'm thinking this is giving me water quality issues as I'm currently trying to clear a bout of columnaris with Myxazin.

I have bogwood in the tank but this has been there years, and some plants, but no CO2.

Anyhow, here is a Video, you can see the clear water in a circle shape where the air bubbles hit the water, then you can see the film.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibJfNKCqkeI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibJfNKCqkeI</a>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to put I Feed frozen Brine Shrimp Aswell

can this effect ammonia, etc, test levels
 

Most reactions

Back
Top