Few Questions

catherine896

Fishaholic
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Messages
546
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
GB
I'm hoping to set up a fish tank again soon.

I've only ever used gravel before, I would like to use sand this time. Is there any problems associated with using sand?

Also wondering what the best filter to use is?

My last 2 tanks have been community fish and we were thinking about doing something different this time round.

Any recommendations on cichlid tanks and what species can live together? I have read through a few threads on here.

Thanks alot.
 
I used sand in my ten gallon and I didn't have any problems with it. I like it because fish poo and stuff just lands on top, so it is easier to keep the tank clean. It's a bit harder to rinse before putting in the tank, but it's not a big hassle.
 
sand isnt even that difficult to prepare.

i bought a bag of argos play sand for 2.80ish

i microwaved it in stages to remove any bacteria in it.

i then rinsed it in a bucket of warm water untill it clears

then add to your own taste.
 
I used sand in my ten gallon and I didn't have any problems with it. I like it because fish poo and stuff just lands on top, so it is easier to keep the tank clean. It's a bit harder to rinse before putting in the tank, but it's not a big hassle.

Sorry to hijack but quick question regarding the sand. Can you gravel vac the sand or wouldn't it just pick up all the sand with the water since it's probably lighter than gravel?
 
Sorry to hijack but quick question regarding the sand. Can you gravel vac the sand or wouldn't it just pick up all the sand with the water since it's probably lighter than gravel?
[/quote]

You don't need to get under the sand because stuff doesn't get down there, it just stays on top. You do loose a little of the sand when getting the debries off of it, but not much really.
 
Thanks for the replies.

Can kiln dried sand be used?

Are plants still easily grown using sand?

Thanks alot :)
 
i'm not sure what kiln sand is but just use play pit sand as its cheap cost me £3.50 for a bag that did the whole tank. Just wash the sand thoughley before putting it into the tank. Plants grow sell in sand or at least mine have. Sand is by far the best substrate in my opinion may look a bit messy but its better than the poop and left over food dropping to the bottom of the gravel and rotting away.

Don't layer the sand to thick and remeber once you've cleaned the sand with a gravel vac to stir the sand over , it may smell a little but its just to stop harmfull gas's building up. this can be done by using trumpet snails and the earth eater cichlids can also do this (geophagus sp.) Most fish will prefer sand substate mainly though who eat from the bottom (less chance of choking on stones and dsoes less damage to the mouth) , some fish like to bury themselves etc.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top