Few Questions About Sand.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

daryl1

Reaction score
hey,
i've just added sand to my tank and didnt really think but can u still use a normal filter???
just got a internal filter.
erm also cleaning sand......i've got a gravel cleaner can that be used on sand too??

one more thing :crazy: i have a discus in there too he's a hardy fish, came from a friend who just left his tank.
will he be ok with sand because i know they like to dig about for food so thought this would be good for him..

just need to if i need to do things to make it that little bit better

cheers
Daryl

Yes the discus prefer sand, not recommended though if hese under 6 months old. They like to blow the sand to push food up. The internal filter should be fine aslong as the intake is over an inch from the bottom of the top of the substrate. What tank is it you have?

You can use the gravel cleaner for the sand just need to hold it further away from the sand than you would with gravel.

the filter is over gravel, sorta done 3/4 sand and 1/4 gravel.

the tanks a aqua...its about 2ft--2 1/2ft.

its my 21st soon so hopefully getting a bigger setup.

I use a graval vac with the end taken off, so it's just the hose. Hover it over the surface and it sucks all the rubbish up, along with a bit of sand.
I'm no expert on discus, but I do know they get big, way too big for a 2-2 1/2 ft and need very clean water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back