Fert Newbie Here, Help Please :)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The thread has been very interesting to read. Thanks for all the useful information.

I have been struggling with plants for a few years and have stupidly proceeded by trial and error rather that stuying the forum in more detail. This is the limited knowlenge I have gleaned from my own experience:

Most plants seem to need sufficient CO2 in the water, regardless of how 'good' the substrate is. Cryptos seem to be an execption in that they appear to thrive in my tanks with low CO2. They seem to feed heavy of the substrate (massive roots) - but didn't seem to grow as well with undergravel filters on.

If you use a CO2 system, make sure it works on a timeswitch with the lights.

Lights - my growlux (type) tubes are less effective after about a year. I don't wait for them to fail before replacing them now.

From observation, I'm convinced that algae can utilse light for a longer period each day that my plants. I am experimenting with the idea that it is betterto increase the intensity rather than extend the time period beyond 10hrs/day.

I must try to get a better knowledge in these areas and have wasted much time but I hope you find my experience useful.

From observation, I'm convinced that algae can utilse light for a longer period each day that my plants. I am experimenting with the idea that it is betterto increase the intensity rather than extend the time period beyond 10hrs/day.

While that statement may or may not be true you're not including why the algae formed in the first place - From there you can conclude it's neither better to increase intensity or duration if you have algae, but rather decrease one, the other or both until you have enough CO2 available to support the given lighting....

IMO

Im sure the almost all plants would do better with a good co2 system, but I haven't used ferts or even had a heavy planted tank before so I am going to start with just ferts and basic care plants that I know I can handle, and we'll go from there
yes.gif
Im purchasing my plants today, and hopefully getting a good start on the actual landscape of the tank, so Im hoping my the weekend I can make the switch from my current tank to the new one. I have a journal going in the planted section as well where Ive been getting good advice as well, check it out
shifty.gif
Thanks for the input!!!! I really love how much help I've gotten and how much I have learned from this site, you can't put a price on knowledge and Im really excited to finally be able to put it all to use in my new tank!
biggrin.png

Most reactions

Back