Female Sorority May Present Problems...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I had a female Betta sorority of 3 in my 20gal. All seemed okay for the first night. The next day, one Betta (a white one) was out where the other 2 (red and blue) were nowhere to be found. One was in a bush, hiding, the other hiding in a log ornament. I got the blue one to come out of the bush (it looked dead...) then the red one came out of the log. Both of their fins were shredded. When the red one came out, the white one chased it around the tank VERY fast. I didn't know what to do, so I caught the white Betta in the net and transferred it to my 55 community. It seems uncomfortable in there, but I didn't want the other two to die.

Now the blue one follows the red one around the tank the whole time. I don't know why, but I don't see it as a problem because I wouldn't consider it chasing. Plus, neither are hiding.

But I am getting a marine set up in December and need to take down the 20 to put that new tank in its place. I have no room to relocate the 20. In 2 weeks or so, I will be forced to move the two female Bettas into the 55. I am worried that the white one will try and kill the other two. I think it would be odd to have a large divider for a single Betta in a 4 foot tank. I don't want to bring any of the 3 Bettas back to the store because they will be placed in one of those little cups again. :( I know very few people with fish, actually I don't think I know anyone who can take it. If aggression happens, what can I do?

I think one problem could be a sorority is usually made up of at least 5, so one method would be to get two more girls (ensure you have the space for the bioload in that tank) take them all out and reintroduce them one at a time, the white one to go in last. I havent had females myself but from what I have read and researched into you need this minimum to lessen this type of aggression within the pecking order.

Alternatively you get rogue females that just will not play nice at all and like males prefer a solitude lifestyle. The white one probably isnt too comfortbale in the 55g by herself but it will be time and testing whether she will behave with the other two in there. So as I see it (others may see differently) here are your options:

1. With your current lot add the two females to the 55g and try again, ensure to take the white one out, perhaps rearrange the decor slightly and reintroduce white to go in last.

2. Try to gain a minimum sorority (really recommend) and again all females out and reintroduce, new ones first, then the red and blue and lastly the white. There will be bickering at the beginning as they regain a pecking order, though be watchful and decide if this white is going to behave.

3. Rehome the white,have the red and blue in the 55g , though also be aware that time will tell whether these two will remain friends or whether one will start to gain dominance again. Where to rehome white? On here in classifieds, aquarist classifieds, ebay, etc, if you are willing to post we can guide there what materials needed. Bettas are always in demand and someone may like her to try or have by herself.

4. Get a 3-5g just for her, you can instant cycle with media from your 55g and keep her on her own, though if went for 5g up, could perhaps add small tankmates (if she will accept them). But this of course is dependent if you have funds and space.

Those are the only ones I can think of, hope it is food for thought. I would be inclined to go with a sorority as 5 minimum as this is the recommended number and with 3 the aggression is not being spread or kept in check.

Everything lilacamy931 has said is completely right.
I have a sorority of 10 females, Firstly i tried 3 but i ended up with sgredded fins so i got 7 more girls and now they all live happily in my 19G tank, even thought here different ages and sizes it works out, although you do get the odd nipped fins now & again.
But you say the tank is going to be made marine, so the best idea would be to sell the fish or get another 45L tank minimum and keep 5 girls.

Thank you both. :D

I think I will move the white one into the 20 and move the red and blue ones into the 55. Then, maybe a week or so later, move the white one back in. If that doesn't work, I could probably buy a 5 gal tank for it. My tank will be an maximum capacity once the Bettas and 2 Cories are moved in, I don't think I could fit in two more Bettas. But I'll try the first thing. Thanks. :D

Don't ever doubt the aggression of the rogue female. I had a sorority of five and the biggest female decided to go and gut the second in command. I came home to my prized green female laying in the corner with her entrails hanging out. Poor dear, I scooped her into a cup without much fuss and euthanized her. I have no doubts about which female it was and when I removed her peace returned to the tank. When the time comes and the option of adding more females and space hasn‘t worked, you may have to re-home the most aggressive female or find a suitable means in which to keep her. (Either a small tank just for her, an adequate divider, or a new owner). Best of luck to you.

I don't know what I am going to do now. I happened to have the net in my 20 and the blue Betta jumped into it... must have gotten stressed, she died. :( I don't know what else could have killed her, my water stats were fine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, low nitrate)

most likely stress, in a tank that size you could have 15 female bettas. That would really help them with aggression etc

hi, are you positive the white one is a girl?? i have 6 females but 2 turned out to be 2 plaket males!!
You are setting up a marine, cool!! we are about to get our 2nd marine up & running, they are so much fun to watch develop!! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back