Female Platys Acting Strange?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Tony1986

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i went to the tank this morning they were both hiding in the plants and when the other fish came near they moved away. I also have noticed this thin clear thing coming out of the area where the fry are going to come out on one of the females and she keeps hanging at the top of the tank out of the way. she comes away sometimes and i go to have a look and she moves away from me. is this a sign of labour, i can also see a white dot near her anal fin and i was told this is the opening getting ready for the fry to come out.
My question is what should i do? HELP

Sounds like she could be about to give birth within the next 24 hours. My female adult platy gave birth sometime Friday night and her anal fin white dot had only appeared that day. She did "square off" too for the first time (this was her 3rd birthing) She was quite active up to the lights going out, but I have heard that some go quiet and hide before they give birth. Let us know how she gets on!

as im typing i just went to check on her but she too far back but i noticed a white dot near her anal fin and she was sitting near the other female who is more square than her. and i also noticed that she had this clear thing coming out of her anal area but it's gone now. is that a sign she getting ready. all she seems to be doing is sitting at the bottom of tank or going in the plants and sitting up near the top. 
861398_10200317677886514_51030836_o_zps3c777eac.jpg

and should i turn the light off during the day as i have looked for info on other sites and people seem to be saying turn the light off. WHAT DO YOU THINK? 
fish.gif

Well they say that the fry are attracted to light so it's best to turn it off once she's started giving birth. On the 2 occasions I knew about with mine I turned the lights off early in the evening. Live plants need so much lamp light to thrive so I did leave it on until about 9pm tho if you've no live plants it's not an issue. Are you leaving her in the main tank (in which case the fry will need plants to hide in) or a birthing box? I've no experience with a birthing box - I just leave it to survival of the fittest and fastest.

Hi, thanks for info i have turned tank lights off during the day as the male was harassing her all the time, i have put her in the breeding tank with the lights off in the room and tank also. I have put a heater as i have been told that the female wont birth unless the tank temp is to what she likes. The one in the pic is not the one due now she got a couple more days as she not squared off yet. I will keep you informed if i have any fry. (Fingers crossed) .

Yes I'd like to hear how she gets on! I'm trying the opposite with mine. Trying to slow her down a bit as she's had fry every 5 weeks since December and I've already got a new tank last month, but can't afford to keep doing that as their numbers will increase exponentially!!! lol
Problem is I don't know how cool I can take it without harming the fish! If you hear or see anything, give me the heads-up?

Will do. She less stressy now the lights are off and the male cant get to her. Yeah i was told they have fry every 28 days until the sperm has gone. I have just noticed that the white bit is now open and she not had a pooh since she went in the breeding box. After she has had the fry she going back in main tank. And then im going to keep the fry in the breeding tank and then release them and see if the fry make it on their own after that. Platys are so much hard work. In past couple of days i have spent £25 for things to make her less stressy.

Best of luck with your plans - looking forward to hearing about your new fry when they arrive. It can be quite obsessive if you let it - I have to drag myself away from watching them at times! Got more videos and pics on my phone than I can shake a stick at! lol

Lol, i have been obsessive at the mo. Every chance i get im at the tank. Lol. Thank you very much as soon as she has had them i will message you. And thanks again for everything.

No problem - am no expert and can only speak from experience, but glad if it's helped. Looking forward to hearing the news about the flutter of tiny fins! lol

Lol, its has helped a great deal. She now has a white clear thing coming out of her. I think tonight is the night, all she done all day is sit at the bottom of breeding tank and done a funny little twitch with her tail.

Oh and i just looked at the anal area and there is a black dot in there. Is that just pooh or something else.

updated photo's of females platys. and could you tell me what breed they are? both females had clear white pooh coming out of them, is this a sign of labour starting?

857020_10200340253490890_188595389_o1_zpse781474f.jpg

823527_10200340251370837_673261503_o_zpsa1459ee4.jpg

Well I can see the gravid spots on them both, but to be honest, my female looked much bigger like she was fit to burst and once the white spot opened her belly really did look like a square this last time. Having said that, she didn't square off for the first 2 lots she had. Maybe she didn't have as many those times and had a bigger brood(?). As for the breed, do you mean like sunset or mickey mouse? If so there are probably loads of types and much better descriptions and pictures on google than I could give.

Sorry forgot the poo bit of your question - maybe they aren't eating as much or as well as they are used to. I believe a change or reduction in diet can cause different looking poo.

yeah i was told in young platys they dont square off much when its there first time. i dont think the pictures are doing them any justice as when you see them with your own eyes. lol, but both are squared off and when you look from the top they are wide and from the front they look like balls. 

Most reactions

Back