female mollie had babies, will she have more in

cassandra

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
my breeder net keeps falling of the side of my fish tank and thats how my fry are all gone what can i do i want fry so much??? also my female mollie had babys two weeks ago will she have more in a few weeks? i heard that female mollies carrie seman around in her for 6 months and they have babies every month is that true

hey cassandra, firstly, yes semen is carried around by the female for about that duration after the first courting session, or concievmnet! Secondly, i suggest if you really want fry, you have to be patient, i know that sounds crappy, but another thing i will suggest is, that you put some more objects into the seperate breeding tank! Vegetation for the fry to esacpe and hide from the parent. DOnt depend on the rubbish that the companys provide us with as it is pretty ineffective and low budget! I belive that The fry must adapt to survival of the fittest as soon as possible, and i find that using breeding nets are more destructive than usefullll. I find its more likely to stress my females out rather than protecting the fry. Ive even had females die from stress... I now keep things really natural in my hexhagonal tank. I started off really basic with about 6 guppys. " males 4 female. That was about a yeaqr ago now. I now have 40 odd coloufull family/breeding machine. I dont bother to remove pregnant females anymore as i find that if i leave them in the tank to labour, most of the fry will be eaten to keep my numbers down. I have recently purchased 5 silver, and dalmation Mollies, and two of them have had fry in the tank aswell.
My point is, leaving your tank to grow by itself and mature with time will always be better in the long run. Its less effort for you, aand less stress for the fish, no matter what all these " experts" say about changing at least 20% of your tanks water each dayetc. Its all to hampy pampy! It takes away the whole enjoyment of having fish.
Let biodiversity do the work for you! Add snails, and lots of rooting aquairium plants to later save money, and let things thrive. I bet it works.
hope any of that helps!

you need to buy a floating breeding net and yes they do go every 4 weeks

thank you spanky that was very helpful, and changeing the water i totally agree with you i never change my water, what about testing the water??? i don't i think it is a waste of time unless you have salt water, what do you think???
and thank you so much buddy :D

It was a pleasure cassandra. You helped me on my betta problem. Think ive got it sorted out, but still got a few questions to find... ;)

I dont change my water, i dont use salt, ive never tested the water and ph levels, and ive had fish for ages. I have the tank on a timer to, to turn everything on and stuff.

I even use pond weed from my fantasic outdoor pond when i havent got round to buying plants from stores for a while. The pond stuff has loads of creepy crawlies in, and the guppies love eating them.-Its good for their diet to have variation.

I think fafing around with your tank like checking the levels is not only extra work, but a little abnormal, and i just leave my fish and tank to get on with looking after it themselves. I do clean out my tank about 1 or 2 a year though. Im not a total bum! I just think to myself, in the wild, fish arent a custom to having humans checking the heat and ph levels/salt content of their natural habitats, so why do it if its in your bedroom.

Well thats what i tell myself... :D

You should do water changes at least a couple of times a month because you will get a build up of nitrates, phosphates and fish hormones, which will cause potential long-term harm to your fish. Not testing an established tank is fair enough - I only test the water in certain circumstances, but water changes are important.

yeh but in nature you have a constant flow of new water flowing in and out of the fishes environment though - they are not swimming in their own wastes

:blink: :crazy: :*) I knew loads of people would say stuff. I thought id just get it all out the way. I do agree withyou anna and co, but i seems to really work for me! I have loads of plants and snails, etc cleaning to tank, and that works for me. Ive never had and illnesses spread through my tanks community, and i have only had a few newly bought guppies when i first started die on me... I must be terribly lucky guys... :rolleyes:

Suemack, i havent thought of it from that angle.. Ill just pretend they do! Yes i know, im in denial, but it works for me, and cassandra... Us lazy fish keepers stand united and hopefully we will never fall.. yippe :hooray: :drink: :hooray:

:D spanky - to be really honest - I just like playing with my fishes :D :D - plus they live in really small tanks :blink: - planted but still small (2x5, 2x10)

Most reactions

Back