Female Gouramis...Hard to find?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pnKroK

Reaction score
Hey there...

I have two honey gourami's, of course they are male.

I went to a LFS to ask if there are any female gourami's for sale/are they hard to find? Well the lady there told me that they are expensive, but not hard to get.

The only reason they are expensive is because of the fact that they just don't want people breeding gouramis and losing money.

So...I wanted to ask if people are running into this same problem?

I went to another LFS and the girl there didn't know how to tell which ones were female and male. I've done some reading now and I think I could go to a LFS and hopefully tell the difference...if they were to have a female.

So...please just let me know if you're running into this same problem, and if so...is there an easy way out of this?

Thanks,

-rob C

i have been looking for a female for my male gourami.
My lfs said that they dont stock females because they are very plain and dont have much colour so nobody buys them.
But they said they could get one for me no problem.

my female was the same price as my male :kana: . i don't see why they'd cost more :dunno: . you would have thought lfs's would stock more cos lotsa people always seem to want females :unsure:

they just don't want people breeding gouramis and losing money

they sell female guppies - they must lose tons of money through that!!

where i am it is alot harder to find a male than a female. I have a female Pearl and a Female Dwarf but i cant find any males to breed them with.

i have two male dwarf and onne honey female gourami my LFS had a large selection of the female dwarfs but they were not attractive at all, i think thats why they are harder to find, they said they sell the males faster becasue of the color diference, koi-angel

OscarCichlid said:
where i am it is alot harder to find a male than a female. I have a female Pearl and a Female Dwarf but i cant find any males to breed them with.
i find that quite funny really - so many people really really want a female gourami, and you'd rather get hold of a male :lol: :S

that is pretty funny. if i could ship these fish to you guys i would but i dont really want to risk it. i am in desprate need of a male. Dwarfs are so beautiful and i cant wait to breed them ..

Yeah...i'm starting to get really pissed off.

I cracked and went to petcetera and just got more frustrated. The guy there was nice and seemed quite knowledgable. They had a nice selection of gouramis...but they were so young that the guy had a hard time telling which was which.

So, i'm gonna try my luck at some other places.

I need to find a 10gal to set up for the breeding...hopefully that won't b too hard.

I hope I can find a female.

Otherwise...i just gotta maybe move to another fish.

I WANNA GET MORE AQUARIUMS! haha

I'd like to start another aquarium with ranbows and gouramis and some balas and plecos. Ack...oh well.

Its a disease!

Thanks for all the posts. Everyone is so helpful, the internet can be a good thing!

Wish me luck and i am wishing all you the same!

-rob C

sometimes there's a female in the batch but they may have fed with hormones to look like males so they'd be more attractive. and yes, excessive hormone feeding will cause them to be sterile

Most reactions

Back