April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ellio

Reaction score
Hi all,

We've recently aquired some wonderful looking Panda loaches, 6 in total. They're in with some guppies, rainbow fish and glass catfish. When it comes to feeding them, we're researched what to feed however we're having the problem of the other fish gobbling everything up before it settles and the panda's don't even try to eat, they stay on their leaves or the side on the tank. Is there a special way to make sure they're getting enough food? I know they'll be eating up algae but I want to make sure they're getting enough!

Any advice would be wonderful - if you need to know tank perimeters I can let you know but not sure if relevant?

Photo attached for attention!

Attachments

• Panda Loach.jpeg
    Panda Loach.jpeg
    883.2 KB · Views: 182
I assume the species to be Yaoshania pachychilus, so here is some information on their requirements in general. Note the need for some water current (which the glass catfish will not appreciate) to ensure sufficient oxygenated water. As for food, it is primarily herbivorous (algae in its habitat) and "meaty" foods must be kept to a minimum to avoid intestinal problems from too much protein. Sinking algae/kelp-based disks such as Omega One's Veggie Rounds is the ideal food. You could also try blanched greens once they are settled, but get them eating the Veggie Rounds first as these contain thee essential nutrients. This sinking food shold get to the bottom, but you can also feeed it at night as suggested above. Wait until the tank is in total darkness and then drop in maybe two disks.

I assume the species to be Yaoshania pachychilus, so here is some information on their requirements in general. Note the need for some water current (which the glass catfish will not appreciate) to ensure sufficient oxygenated water. As for food, it is primarily herbivorous (algae in its habitat) and "meaty" foods must be kept to a minimum to avoid intestinal problems from too much protein. Sinking algae/kelp-based disks such as Omega One's Veggie Rounds is the ideal food. You could also try blanched greens once they are settled, but get them eating the Veggie Rounds first as these contain thee essential nutrients. This sinking food shold get to the bottom, but you can also feeed it at night as suggested above. Wait until the tank is in total darkness and then drop in maybe two disks.

Thanks very much for this. The water flow is good enough for the loaches, they seem to love staying around the flow! The glass catfish seem to be thriving in there, they certainly don't seem stressed and mostly stay under the plants/driftwood/ornaments. We've had them in there for nearly a year and not lost any! We'll definitely try feeding at night for them, we had read they prefer veg. I've also read that they need to have smaller food stuffs, like crushed pellets instead of whole pellets - is that true? We were crushing them but maybe that's not a good idea?
Thanks again!

Thanks very much for this. The water flow is good enough for the loaches, they seem to love staying around the flow! The glass catfish seem to be thriving in there, they certainly don't seem stressed and mostly stay under the plants/driftwood/ornaments. We've had them in there for nearly a year and not lost any! We'll definitely try feeding at night for them, we had read they prefer veg. I've also read that they need to have smaller food stuffs, like crushed pellets instead of whole pellets - is that true? We were crushing them but maybe that's not a good idea?
Thanks again!

The loaches are grazers, they must graze surfaces for their food (like algae), so the sinking disks I mentioned are your best food. They break down very very slowly; may loaches (different species) and cories can feed from these disks for a few hours. Crushed up pellets will foul the water more than feed these loaches.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back