Feeding Fish Out Of Date Fish Food?

JohnRossDele

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Co.Down Ireland
Hi everyone, i bought spirulina algae flakes for my fish today, in an FS 30 miles away from my house and note the reason why i didnt use L in LFS coz its sooooo far for me with the traffic and stuff. So i got to the shop bought Nutrafin Max spirulina flakes and Nutrafin Max cichlid sticks (both are for my kribensis fish, for breeding :D) and as i im 2 miles from my house waiting in the traffic lights i takes a looks see in on the flakes, as i looked at the bottom i seen that it said BBE Date was May 08 i was soo mad you can just imagin the rage that was building up inside me :< !! so can i use it?
 
Hmmm, I would guess that it is probably okay.

I mean the packets are sealed, in what I imagine is a protective atmosphere.

If my fish were starving I would use it, however if it is unopened I would take it back.
Although it is a long way for you to go.
 
Hmmm, I would guess that it is probably okay.

I mean the packets are sealed, in what I imagine is a protective atmosphere.

If my fish were starving I would use it, however if it is unopened I would take it back.
Although it is a long way for you to go.

i'll feed it to them from what things look, the flakes are ok looking and i've already opened them so bye bye the idea of going back!!

thanks in advance
~~~~JRD~~~~
 
all dried goods will normally be fine out of date i wouldn't worry about it too much like doktor doris says they are sealed in a protective atmosphere normally nitrogen even opened it should be fine
 
are the flakes crisp or sort of soggy? if soggy I'd ring the store and say you opened it, thought they were damp then checked the date and ask if (due to distance) they could give you a credit note as long as you bring them back, with receipt, next time you are there. Don't feed if they are soggy or damp.

I'd imagine that so out of date the vitamins and nutrients will be badly depleted so I also wouldn't feed as the staple diet.
 
are the flakes crisp or sort of soggy? if soggy I'd ring the store and say you opened it, thought they were damp then checked the date and ask if (due to distance) they could give you a credit note as long as you bring them back, with receipt, next time you are there. Don't feed if they are soggy or damp.

I'd imagine that so out of date the vitamins and nutrients will be badly depleted so I also wouldn't feed as the staple diet.

theyre not damp or soggy just feel like new ordinary tropical flakes; heres a picture
HG16048_99.jpg
 
If u have bought the same food earlier then you know what the fresh ones looks and smales like...

if the out of date one is same as that then it's ok otherwise not....as simple as that
 

Most reactions

Back
Top