Feeding Assassin Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ardvark

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had a problem with pest snails.  Treated myself to 3 Assassin snails but found them to be vegetarians so bought 3 more.  With a combination of me turkey basting the pest snails off the glass and the Assassins doing there job I'm thinking my pest snail problem is coming to an end.
I've been doing some surfing and some Assassin keepers say they feed there snails on small pieces of chicken left over from there Sunday Roast. Now I'm thinking along the lines of treating my Assassins to meat once a week instead of flakes all the time, very much alone the lines of feeding me Guppies with defrosted daphnia every week to give variety to there diet.

Has or do any members feed there Assassins meat now and again as a treat OR is this a bad idea?

Al

I've only fed mine live snails, it's reassuring to know they will eat other things if I get short on snails, not sure about chicken though? would be worried about it polluting the tank they are in as it is fairly small, I think I would stick with fish food and algae wafers if they eat it in between their snail meals.

I wouldn't put anything in the tank from your dinner - it will pollute the tank. Assassins are very good at finding their own food. They'll burrow into the substrate and eat what's fallen between the cracks. I "lost" one for months that way and only knew it had resurfaced because I'd replaced it and suddenly there were 2!
They've had a couple of babies too so must be getting by ok with what they can find for themselves. I do put some crushed flake in there every so often just in case.

What I was thinking of is cube of cooked chicken. NOT left over scraps that the dog has.

Bloodworms beefheart anything you would feed carnivore fish. But only sinkable food.
Also they like algea wafers as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back