Feeding A Clown Knife Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

madmac82

Reaction score
Just a quick one guys. Ive just bought a Clown Knife Fish and was just wondering how often to feed it on blood worm. I do have smaller "feeder" fish in my tank, but between my Spotted Gar and the Knife Fish they seem to have gone through about 12 - 15 in one day and one night! :crazy:
My Spotted Gar is fed twice a day with a block of blood worm each time, so i think my Knife Fish went through most of the smaller fish last night.

Cheers for any help.

Liam

welcome to the forums mac
it seems we have the same great taste in fish :rolleyes:
i feed my clown knife and spotted gar once a day
at the size your fish are i wouldnt bother with daily bloodworm anymore stick to bigger meaty foods
some pics would be cool

cheers for the welcom mate, and for the advice. but wot do you mean by " bigger meaty food"? fish?
how big are your fish now mate?

here are some pics of my gar "ally", the whole reason for me gettin into keepin fish. and a quick one of my giraffe catfish "catty". wasnt able to get a pic of my knife fish as he/she was hiding in the reeds at the far end of the tank!
i know bad quality pics, but its a cheap camra.

fish002.jpg

fish001.jpg

fish004.jpg

mine i now 9'' i feed him on blood worm one a day he also likes to eat bits of sliced ham and corned beef :hyper:

I had a 14 inch Clown and it took out two 6 inch silver sharks and tried to constantly take out my 10 inch Tiger!!

It even tried on my 12 inch Lima!

At night it was totally ruthless splashing around.

I had to pass it on. A shop took him , when i returned two weeks later he was in a tank on his own.
I asked 'How come'?

The guy said that there is nothing , not even that big arowana or snakehead or even that big pleco it has not attacked.
I can't sell him unless its a 1 only tank.

Its a shame as he is a stunning fish but i think he is the Hannibal Lecter of the knifefish society :grr:

cheers for the welcom mate, and for the advice. but wot do you mean by " bigger meaty food"? fish?
how big are your fish now mate?

foods like mussles,prawns,fish,earthworms and shrimp will make them grow much faster
my gar is 12" and my clown knife is 16"
are you sure that is a spotted gar?the pics are not very clear but it looks like it has a very wide snout
it looks a lot like my old alligator gar
alligator gar
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v732/can...nt=100_0418.flv
spotted gar
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v732/can...nt=100_0699.flv
my clown knife
mfk.jpg

id still say that is a skinny gator gar it has big eyes and a broad snout.spotted gars have pointed snouts.one sure way to find out is try and get a look in its mouth if its a gator it will have 2 rows of teeth
check out this link :good:
http://www.primitivefish.com/
click on alligator gar and look at the pictures of the juvenilles(top right pics)

i accidently brought a gator gar thinking it was a spotted its a easy mistake to make they all look so similar when they are small.
it grew really fast like 3" per month and became very aggresive once it hit 12" i had to rehome it,great fish tho

i accidently brought a gator gar thinking it was a spotted its a easy mistake to make they all look so similar when they are small.
it grew really fast like 3" per month and became very aggresive once it hit 12" i had to rehome it,great fish tho

right this has got me confused now ( more than normal ), ive had "Ally" since November and i dont think she is growing by 3" a month.

not sure if she has 2 rows of teeth, will have a look tomorrow.

if she is a gator gar, has anyone got a 32 foot X 12 foot X 8 foot tank for sale, lol.

cheers for the help guys, will keep yous up to date with wots goin on with her.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Fu*k, it would seem that ally IS a gator gar!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.####.com/forums/s...3017#post733017
told ya ;)
was the name a coincidence?Ally the alligator gar
one thing i would say mac is ally looks really skinny what are you feeding her besides bloodworm?
if you havnt allready,get a bag of whitebait/silversides and handfeed her them by dangling them on the waters surface :good:
gator gars have massive appetites when mine was 8" it was eating 2 or 3 whole fish twice a day

whatcha gonna do now though? (about the catfish)

havent got a clue. should be ok for a while yet tho

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Fu*k, it would seem that ally IS a gator gar!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.####.com/forums/s...3017#post733017
told ya ;)
was the name a coincidence?Ally the alligator gar
one thing i would say mac is ally looks really skinny what are you feeding her besides bloodworm?
if you havnt allready,get a bag of whitebait/silversides and handfeed her them by dangling them on the waters surface :good:
gator gars have massive appetites when mine was 8" it was eating 2 or 3 whole fish twice a day

didnt know they ate THAT much!! will buy a bag of prawns when i go shopping tonight. they should by fine??

Most reactions

Back