feeders in my main tank?

FishNiX

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i dont think any of my fish are big enough to eat a full grown feeder guppy, but i'm sure they'd be psyched about the fry!! can i put some feeders in the tank so that they breed... get some fry and my fish will have a snack, or is this a bad idea?

thanks!

after reading my post...it seems a little evil, but also more like real life! hehe

am i being evil?

Tis I the ever present fish fourms devil.......and my child I say if they are tank raised by you and not from the lfs yes that would be fine.

i meantioned it to my gf and she thought it was mean... maybe i can sneak some guppies in....hehe

It really depends on the fish you are feeding them too, but there is certainly nothing wrong with it. I have set up a livebearer breeding tank just for that very purpose. A 28 gallon hex tank. I've only just set it up though so it isn't producing yet - so far I've got half a dozen guppies and four Silver Lyretail Mollies in it.

IMO anyone who does not feed their piscavorous fish feeders is missing out :D

haha seems the same to me as feeding BWs. they're all lifes anyway; just that one's a slightly higher life form lol

i meantioned it to my gf and she thought it was mean... maybe i can sneak some guppies in....hehe

I have fry in a breeding net in one of my tanks..everyso often i let a few out and give my other fish something to eat, if my housemate asks me where the fish are going i just say that i dont know and that they must be jumping out the breeding tray! *snigger*

those fry that dont get eaten will grow better in the main aquarium anyway...thats my excuse! ;)

hehe...sounds good, but is the breeding net slightly unsightly? or do you hide it behind some plants or something?

Don't put a breeder net in the same tank as the fish you are feeding them to. They will learn where the feeders are coming from and crush them through the net - killing then but not being able to eat them.

Most reactions

Back