Just upgraded to a 130 litre tank from a 70, and currently have -
3 Cory cats
3 guppies
2 platties
2 dwarf gouramis
5 tetras
5 danios
1 loach

All of them are at full size bar the loach who is just a youth (I am aware he will grow to around 5")

I would like 1 last fish, would like something around 4" in size and bright coloured (as you can see have went for the no background look so the fish would stand out better)

Problem is can't find any fish... Love the the look of some of th chichilids but see they have a temper... Don't want any more gouramis neither....

Help?!

I wouldn't be adding another type of fish since your current ones are not being kept in proper numbers

The cories, tetras, danios, and loach all need groups of 6+.

What sort of loach do you have?

*Edit* Bringing all the schools up would overstock your tank, so I'd be making some decisions between the fish.
Probably take out the danios (are they zebra? if so they're temperate so don't belong with the tropical fish anyway), and choose between cories or loaches.

Beautiful tank and lights.

Really like it, hope you don't mind if I ask where you got this tank from?

Ninjouzata said:
I wouldn't be adding another type of fish since your current ones are not being kept in proper numbers

The cories, tetras, danios, and loach all need groups of 6+.

What sort of loach do you have?

*Edit* Bringing all the schools up would overstock your tank, so I'd be making some decisions between the fish.
Probably take out the danios (are they zebra? if so they're temperate so don't belong with the tropical fish anyway), and choose between cories or loaches.

6 cardinal tetras sorry... And they are glowlight danios...

What you mean by choose between cories and loach? Do they not get on??

And the loach was only listed in shop as "sucking loach" couldn't find this breed online so no idea what it's proper handle is

Ch4rlie said:
Beautiful tank and lights.

Really like it, hope you don't mind if I ask where you got this tank from?
Sure, it's a aquaone 130, just arrived in the store wasn't even out the box so took a gamble when getting it as could only see what was on box, payed off as it's a beautiful tank!

It's not that they won't get on, but that your tank isn't big enough to handle the bioload from keeping all these fish in their proper numbers.

Can you get a close up pic of the sucking loach so someone can ID it?
When I hear that I think of a chinese algae eater and you do not want one of those :/ They get big, and as they age they eat less algae and go after fishes slime coat.

I saw this tank at Pets at home with a price tag of £250.

Yeh I'll try and get a picture now...

Was £299 I payed and came with the new inspire cabinet, dark wooden stand with gloss black doors, pretty trendy for a fish stand ha!

I'll be back In a mo with this loach....
ID this loach anyone??

That looks like a CAE to me. :/ Would re-home it if you can.

Sorry I'm being so negative, am not meaning to be. It's just best you know all of this now rather than later!

Don't worry I'd rather the truth... I have a friend who would have it anyways... What size will they get too??

So with that in mind that I won't keep him, have the right number of tetras, have 1 short on the danios, and have a few less cories then I should....there must be a fish I can get for a looker in the tank?

I would get more cories but to be honest the 3 of them seem dead happy there's always messing around etc

Might sound a stupid question but when you say need the cories in groups of 6+, would I be able to get 3 differmt cories? (Got 3 albinos at the moment, would I be able to get 3 emerald ones to make the numbers up or does that not count?)

Corys do better in groups of their own rather than separate species.

So would not be recommended to mix 3 albino Cory's and 3 panda Cory's? What are the benefits of having them In proper numbers? Newbie question really sorry haha

You can do albino and emerald since the emerald are still corydoras aeneus.

The reason for keeping them in higher numbers is it makes them feel more comfortable and act naturally..these fish are in the hundreds to thousands in the wild.
Keeping the same type in higher numbers also looks better visually rather than having a mish mash of colors and types.

Have a look at this vid :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIVCdLOImw

No problem, shoaling fish like to be in numbers amongst own species, more comfortable for them and will see much more natural behaviours from them this way.

Stressed fish when in inadequate numbers may lead to aggression or illnesses depending on species although cories tend to be peaceful fish so would be more susceptible to diseases. 

In fact cories in the wild tend to number in the hundreds or even thousands, so therefore in a tank a small group of minimum 6 may be acceptable but imho 8+ would be a bit better.

Most reactions

Back