Fat Male Platy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

UKSPEED

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

My male platy literally looks like he has swallowed a marble. I thought he probably had dropsy but he has been like this for a couple of months now - showing no signs of pretruding scales - eating normally. Have tried the pea feeding with no success.

Anyone got any ideas what is happening?

Hi,

My male platy literally looks like he has swallowed a marble. I thought he probably had dropsy but he has been like this for a couple of months now - showing no signs of pretruding scales - eating normally. Have tried the pea feeding with no success.

Anyone got any ideas what is happening?

IDK to much but I got a platy just like yours, and from what I have read online and some fishstore guy told me as well, if there all big and swollen lookin like that for a long time and never give birth or are male, and they dont die it could just be a defect fish? MY fish is a girl but for about 2 months now she has looked like shes gona pop, and I only have girl platies so unless my male betta got it on lol wich I dont think happened shes just a defective fish, bad intestine? idk some times breeders breed 200 fish and there will be like 30 out of the group that are just prone to being all fat lookin and theres not much we can do. Again I dont know much just what I have read and heard, if its not some sickness or problem it could just be bad genes? Thats why when I buy fish I dont get any that have kinda lumpy tumie, cause chances are they will always be fat like that, kinda like people

Thanks for your replies guys.

No he is not a balloon, he was normal for the first 3-4 months i had him, then over last couple of months he has got like this. Very strange. Will just have to wait and see what happens i suppose.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back