Fast Breathin/sitting In Bottom Of Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ajg6128

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
One of my guppies has recently been sat at the bottom of fish tank moving very minimally (once or twice every few hours even during feeding) it has recently improved slightly and moves hourly, another guppie has begin to act similar and I'm concerned it may be some form of disease they have caught.

Water levels have been off recently with a spike which think was caused by a hidden dead fish in the filter.

The tank is a 64 litre
Ph levels are 7/7.5
Nitrite levels are about 0.3mg/l
Currently in a cycle

This is the only information available from tests as not having means of testing for others such as nitrate hopefully it is enough for someone to inform me of any protocol or chemical I may be able to use to improve the health of these fish.

Have tried searching for this issue and mainly only came up with info on fish breathing heavily and sitting at top of water. Only info I found was about goldfish and did not know how well that held in validity compared to tropical.

Thank you in advance to anyone taking time to reply.

If your tank is currently cycling, they are most likely suffering from ammonia poisioning. How long have you had the tank? I would recommend buying an API master test kit immediately so you can know what's going on with the water. Your fish will probably all die I'm afraid. Once they show ammonia poisoning symptoms, there is likely no recovery.

Thanks for a reply, would changing the fish into a tank with good levels help them survive at all? Will get the master cleaning kit as by the weekend. The tank they are in has been set up about 1 week but the other tank available has been set up a few months.

The master test kit can be bought online (I did amazon prime) or in most local fish stores. It will last you forever and allow you to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and more.
I am pretty sure that ammonia poisoning is irreversible, but I'd have to have someone more familiar answer that. Until someone else gives some insight I would definitely do a large water change making sure you treat the tap water. How many guppies are there?

Only two left, lost one when it had an unsuspected baby, which didn't survive. Bought an ammonia testing kit for delivery within 48 hours as a quick test until after this holiday period when I can pay for the api testing kit. Again thank you for the response greatly appreciated!

I think Amber has it...this is likely a cycling issue.

Water changes, at least half the tank volume, and every day are imperative to reduce the ammonia/nitrite (whichever, or both).  Continue this until ammonia and nitrite read zero consecutive days.  A test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is a good investment; the API liquid Master Combo also includes pH, and this kit is used by many of us.

Another help is to use a conditioner than detoxifies ammonia and nitrite, at least during cycling.  Seachem's Prime does this, as does another called Ultimate.  Once the tank is cycled, you can go back to your regular conditioner (if it is not either of these).

Now, when you say changing the fish into a good tank...if you have another tank running, and it is cycled, then yes, moving the fish is OK.  Assuming there is not some other obstacle...the other fish I mean.  This seems likely to be related to ammonia or nitrite, and thus is not "contagious" to other fish but any fish subjected to the toxins will be affected and this is not reversible.

Byron.

Edit.  Amber posted as I was typing...we are on the same page.

Thank you I'll move them into the other tank and monitor them while waiting for the testing kit for ammonia to arrive, appreciate the replies. Happy to hear it's not contagious but let down that it's most likely my own fault for the ammonia poisoning. Will do the water changes as you stated.

That definitely sounds like a cycling issue. Ammonia and nitrite poisoning can have long term affects on your fish.
Always remember to go with a  fish-less cycle, it's humane and only requires some basic knowledge and patience. 
If you moved them, I hope that tank is cycled or it's not going to do you any good.

As Amber said, buy the Freshwater Master Kit on Amazon, if you have Prime that's even better, I got mine for $27 I think? Compared to other chain stores where they're like $32-$35? It comes with testing solutions for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and high range pH, along with a few test tubes. I'd say it's totally worth the price tag.

Wish it was that cheap for me to pick up haha, £35 here in the UK but going to get soon as I've got the money to do so. For now got individual testing kits to measure all, or get them on the way if not currently in possession, fish in fly led tank and appear a bit more lively but will monitor frequently to be safe. Thankyou all for advice

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back