Falx update

juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
Good news! Today my second brooding male betta falx released his fry. :D I'm very excited, as 2 died from the last batch, plus umm 8 or so that dad ate. :no: Anyways, at last count I have 33 total. :hyper:

I removed both daddies.... and I had to seperate them from mom!! :rolleyes: As soon as I put in the first boy, she was raring to go and ready to spawn again. Couldn't let them though, as first daddy hasn't eaten since I've had him - like three weeks! He's eating now though. :)

Some interesting observations - The first dad held his brood for over two weeks, and the second for less than. Also, (because of this I'm sure), the ones from the new batch are quite a bit smaller. That's considering the fact that already the older ones have grown a ton. I had to do quite a few water changes to get rid of daddy junk, so that probably helped a lot, plus they're all PIGGING on microworms!! :nod: They all have fat white bellies right now.. cuties. :wub:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Awww, I'm dying to see how big they are when he actually spits them out, it's so hard to tell in pics!!! :hyper: :look:

Mom sounds like a little naughty naughty :shifty: :hey:

Edit~ I went and checked out the pics again, they seem so big to me! They're not noodly and helpless like regular ole betta fry :lol: They're so freakin' cute,Julie!!!! I think we need update pics :hey:

:lol: "Noodly". Yeah, these guys are pretty darned big compared to other egg layer fry. I've raised some zebra danios, so I know how tiny they can be. :nod:

Have you had guppies? I haven't, but I've had platies and they are just a bit smaller than newborn platies. So that might help with a size scale. Otherwise, going by this scale, they are between the two and three week olds. (The newer ones closer to two weeks.)

They ARE so freaking cute! I can't get enough of them, I lay on my belly (tank is on the floor) and watch them for hours. They are HILARIOUS to watch eat... they circle the microworm of choice with their head staying in the same spot, then move in and ATTACK! :lol: It's hilarious, they're like little lions learning how to hunt.

I'll try to see if they show up better in pics tomorrow. The older ones have definitely grown, so maybe they will. Wish me luck. :p

Good Luck!!

I know what ya mean about watching them forever :*) When they start developing their labyrinth organs it's like a living lava lamp,everybody going up and down,up and down :wub: :lol:

I've never had guppies but I've seen newborns in the shop so I know whatcha mean.I did a major size comparison of your babes with everything in the tank :lol: they're absolutely awesome :wub:

Wow, this is great, congrats on both spawns and having so many fry already. I can see it now, you're going to be a big Falx breeder in the country, haha. We'll see you auctioning on aquabid all the time :) I might be interested in a pair or trio at some point, I just need to get my barracks/drip system setup first for my Splendens (about to try for my 3rd spawn as the first spawn will be starting to go to new homes soon). Then I can see what room I have for a Falx tank, hehe.

Linda
http://www.pet-emporium.com
http://www.cooking-fanatics.com

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back