fake plants

gmen5681

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
well im getting ready to set up the new tank. it has sand and it has the heater and air bubbler in. but not im working on decorating it. i have some rocks in there but im looking for many plants to. i dont want to deal with live plants, but i want my fake plants to look real. what company makes the best quality plants? im sick of these nasty cheap looking plants i can only find. im willing to spend some money on them as long as they are nice looking.

Live plants are better, you don't have to do anything really, just maybe put a plant feeder tablet in every so often!

I have never seen plstic plant that can compare to real ones.

thats just my opinion.

see what im worried about is the fact that i have sand. and in my other tank my pleco kicks the sand everywhere and uncovers the plants. so i dont want to ahve to deal with that. fake plants just seem easier.

Puffer_freak said:
Live plants are better, you don't have to do anything really, just maybe put a plant feeder tablet in every so often!

I have never seen plstic plant that can compare to real ones.

thats just my opinion.
Many I should really get my friend to bring over the digi cam tonight.
I can't stand to buy fake plants from pet stores they look horrible not like the real thing at all.
That's why I make my own, take a the top of a four litter milk jug (providing it's plastic), or the tops off of film containers punch a hole clear through them just big enough of the steam of a fake plant and head out the doors to Michaels.
I've been working at Michaels Arts and Crafts for some time now and while it truly is a very female store they have an awesome selection in fake green water plants. If you go on a week that has a coupon these will cost you maybe a buck or two (sales usually start on Saturdays look for flyers in your local newspaper never pay full price!!!) and the great thing about these plants is they look soooo real. There is nothing in comparison except of course living plants. Make sure they are made out of plastic and not the silk kind of (they get really dusty in the story and are hard to get all of the dirt out of). Trim away to the size that best suits your tank (you can usually make a couple out of one stem and it works out great if you mix and match the plants). Once you have them to the size you like push the bottom of the stem through the hole in the plastic and seal the bottom with type one silicon. Goop it all very good and make sure all the wire parts of the plant that you've exposed from trimming have a bit of silicon sealing them (to prevent harmful chemicals from entering your tank). Make sure they sit for about 72 hours and WA LA fake plants that were cheap and look VERY real.

I've used them in very tank I have and they look so real people wonder how they grow (that’s always the best complement).

I hope this helps :)

gmen5681 said:
see what im worried about is the fact that i have sand. and in my other tank my pleco kicks the sand everywhere and uncovers the plants. so i dont want to ahve to deal with that. fake plants just seem easier.
well it gets worse wit fake ones if the fake ones aren't burried in the sand properly they tend to float.

simple answer don't have a pleco in there or just use rocks and wood.

the fake plants are usualy v.fake but the ones that use fabric and not plastic are suposed to be better, but real plants are so much better they give u better water and look nicer and most of all ur fish like real ones better

allllright! ill go with real plants. but i dont even know how to go abouts starting it.

Live plants are best. Go with Java Fern, very easy and it does not have to be buried in the sand. Some if mine is buried and some not. Easy and multiplies like crazy, if you get to much give some away or if no body wants it add it to the compost pile.

bugsy :)

heres what im thinking
- jave ferns (middle)
- anubia (front)
- corkscrew (middle)
- micro swords (front)
- green cabomba (back)

Sounds nice, I have never had luck with Cabomba. The livebeares kept on eating it all the time till there was nothing left.

Good luck and post a picture when you get all this in your tank

bugsy :rolleyes:

I will admit, that everyday I look at my 75 gallon and wish I planted. But in the defense of my plastics, people still complement them, and when I started keeping fish I was so nervous about everything else, realplants was not a desire, but maybe one day I will replant

Most reactions

Back