Failing Tank Heater Symptoms

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jesusjones

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A heater failing is a bit of a lingering concern for anyone that has had one stick ON permanently and cook their tank. Its hard to know how long you can safely use a heater before replacing it. Thankfully, there are some symptoms you can watch for that can help you determine if it may be time for a new one.

You want to observe how the internal switch mechanism looks and sounds to judge its health. A healthy (new) heater should have little to no visible spark and not "twang" or "snap" loudly when switching on/off. When the spark starts getting brighter and the switch gets louder that is your sign that the heater may be at risk of failing. You may also find the tank temperature drifting upward and you needing to turn down the heater as it gets worse.

The heater switch's contacts are arc protected, when that circuit starts failing you will start to notice these things more and more. Sooner or later the switch will arc and weld itself shut in the ON position. I've had it happen and assessed why. I recommend taking a video of your heater working after a month or two of operation. Use it as a reference if you start to think the switch is going south. It will fail gradually and you may get used to it and not really notice.

Hope that help keep some tanks cool....but warm ;)

A couple of comments to keep a heater from overworking and burning out faster:
Make sure to use the correct size heater (s) for the tank. And remember to calculate how much the tank temp is to be raised above the coldest room ambient temperature.
Also, some people buy a heater and expect the thing to last a lifetime. I replace mine every 4 or 5 years. That is a reasonable amount of time.
Finally, I like using alert thermometers in my tanks. They have a high and low temperature audible alert. Lifegard makes one that works well.

A couple of comments to keep a heater from overworking and burning out faster:
Make sure to use the correct size heater (s) for the tank. And remember to calculate how much the tank temp is to be raised above the coldest room ambient temperature.
Also, some people buy a heater and expect the thing to last a lifetime. I replace mine every 4 or 5 years. That is a reasonable amount of time.
Finally, I like using alert thermometers in my tanks. They have a high and low temperature audible alert. Lifegard makes one that works well.
Isn't it better to get a heater that is over your tank's capacity? That way it doesn't have to work as hard to keep up.

I guess I’m anal, been in this since the 80’s but I just have a habit of checking my thermo numerous times a day, yes I work, usually in by 4:30 am, try to get out by 3:00 pm. In the am starting coffee, I hit the lights, glance at the fish and thermo. Come home, feed the fish and look at the thermo. I‘m always looking at things in the tank and the temp. is part of. What I watch. I’ve been lucky, never had on fail. My little 10 gal. now is a constant 76 degrees with a Fluval. But because of these reported issues, I try to really keep an eye on the temp. Like Archer said, replacing every couple years might not be a bad idea. The newer brand name heaters seem to be a lot better than 20 years ago. Jesus is correct, keep an eye on daily on temps. and if differences, that a clue. Once these are set, they should maintain the set temp.
Ed

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back