Failed lighting system

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Got back from work today - no lights in the cichlid tank. Dashed out to get new lights - came home - they don't work. Phoned up my lfs (also stocks juwel tanks) and he told me to bring the whole unit in and maybe he could get it to work. Dashed up to the lfs - no luck the unit doesn't work :( While I was there, got talking to the owner and he suggested I get stronger lights for my community tank (it's very heavily planted) so, naturally, I was persuaded - (it's very easy to persuade me to get anything for my tanks - and he knows it :rolleyes: ) I bought 2 triton lights - dashed home, put them in the community tank - wow - fishies look more colourful, really looks good. Also bought a new betta for my community tank - a bright red one - absolutely gorgeous :wub:
Total sum of evening: just under £100 - guess my new digicam is going to wait a while :S

£100 WHAT THE ?!?! lol I'm guessing u had 2 new whole starter units aswell ? (gold plated ones ? ;) )

I have a triton tube, theyr good yes, mine was about £8 for 24" :p

mine are 36" x 2 - each one £12.99 The new lighting unit cost £59 - not gold plated (on the internet they sell for £75 not including the lights and postage) - New fishie £3.50 and 2 x 36" flourescents that I don't need :)

Carnt u return the lights that u dont need ?

hey gad,

I recently got the reflectors for my juwel :hyper: what a difference they make! B)

Have you got them?......if not then it must be on your lfs list to flog you next lol :lol:

:)

You can get the tubes from any electrical wholesaler for about 3 quid.

You just need the length and colour eg white shade are 360 380 or 460 just look for the number

thats including VAT. and reflectors you can get for 2 quid.

Ballast, choke and starter about 5 quid sold together

Another good tip is to get an emergency light fitting.

Extend the cables to reach tank and if the power cuts off the batteries built in keeps light going

Benifits include if the electric goes off the tank stays lit so you can still see in the room :D :D :D :D :D

Thats overboard issn`t it ?

Can you thell im a control freak, i like my automated gadgets, my tanks full of them, going too far and rambling now

Bye :thumbs:

I got two relectors for my rio 180

It sure does make a difference..

I had to remove the front relector on mine as it started to cause
problems with the green stuff, we all hate...

Emergency lighting is good idea, but it tends to go on 3 am
in the morning on a power cut.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back