Extreme Leakage (Upstairs)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Llegmore

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Apologies if this sounds non-emergency - I posted it in my tank journal first but i'm getting increasingly worried so i'm hoping to get some help here.

Warning: below is a tale of extreme woe.

I was studying until 5.30am and, because I didn't want to disturb Castiel with my light, I had put a towel over his tank. That is probably why I didn't hear the distinct trickle of leakage. I must have knocked the flow wheel on his filter because it was spurting right up to the top of the tank and water was coming out at the edges of the lid. I got up to get a drink and realised that the floor looked damp. On further inspection, the whole towel was drenched and the floor all around the tank was soaked. When I lifted the towel, I found the tank like this:
tumblr_mtpv7y2qTR1s0off3o1_500.jpg

Yes, I know, it could have been worse. And I'm glad I found it before the water level got below the heater. But it's still a good 3 inches - as the water level goes up beyond the end of the visible glass. I calculated the capacity of water lost and it's 7 litres (1.6 gallons). That's a lot of water to spill. It's taken 7 towels to mop up the carpet.
tumblr_mtpv7y2qTR1s0off3o2_500.jpg

after I, somehow, managed to pull out the tank and cabinet without waking my parents. My room is upstairs so I'm more than a little concerned about water on my floor. It's also worrying given the amount of electric sockets:
tumblr_mtpv7y2qTR1s0off3o3_500.jpg

tumblr_mtpv7y2qTR1s0off3o4_500.jpg

After a good deal of stamping (quietly) on the towels, I think I've averted disaster.
tumblr_mtpvkohvHp1s0off3o1_500.jpg

However it's still very damp. I've never actually had much of a spill from any of my tanks, not including the occasional slosh from a bucket - nothing more than the equivalent of spilling a glass of water. Has anyone ever had a water-loss this big from an upstairs tank? I'd really like to avoid sharing this one with the parents. Help?! I did go downstairs to check the ceiling of the room directly beneath mine and it seems OK. But I'm still really worried.

Volume wise that's actually quite a small amount of water in terms of soaking through the floor. I guess it depends on the structure of your house but if you caught if fairly quickly which it seems you did, I suspect the biggest worry to you will be the smell of damp in your room due to the soaked carpet as I bet most of the water didn't make it past the carpet and underlay.

When I had a spillage in the past I've got heaters on to dry the carpet out and then a dehumidifier in the room to draw out any moisture in the room. Once it was all cleared up there was no sign of any mess so all was good.

I've you're not sure you can do this, I'd be inclined to fill the tank up, chuck the towels in the washing machine and then tell your parents of the accident so they'll know and be able to help. They'll probably not be as angry as I think you're worried about if you tidy up a bit and reduce the mess!
smile.png
especially if they don't see the towels and water level in the tank.

Is the carpet secured/glued to the floor?  If not you could lift the carpet in the areas where it was wet to increase air flow and help drying to avoid a damp smell.... you could get a carpet adhesive from a DIY store after to re-secure the carpet.

Thanks guys. I'm not quite as worried as it seems to have all dried up now. I panicked because the water seemed to be spreading under the carpet and it squelched under foot. I tried to lift the carpet but it's stuck to the floor. As for the damp smell, I've got my windows open and a fan beside the damp patch.

Llegmore said:
Thanks guys. I'm not quite as worried as it seems to have all dried up now. I panicked because the water seemed to be spreading under the carpet and it squelched under foot. I tried to lift the carpet but it's stuck to the floor. As for the damp smell, I've got my windows open and a fan beside the damp patch.

OK, good luck! Just be aware that you might need a bit more than a fan and an open window to get rid of any real damp smells! :)

Yeah I'm going to see how it goes and take further action depending on the situation later.
thanks.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back