Even seen any ppl at the lfs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shark_Lover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
OK I wanted to buy this little baby angelfish, and this lady was like "Angelfish are very fragile" (someting like that) "I dont recomend them"

holy crap IVE HAD ANGELFISH BEFORE!!!!!!!!! :grr: :-( :sad: :X :sick: :angry: :(

Well, considering how people usually think I know b*gger all about fish (I'm 14), most of the workers seem to get that when I comment about their tanks and fish in a funny language they don't much understand called knowing what you're doing, I do actually know what I'm doing. Generally the only 'debates' I've had is with the lfs about the so called 'sub-species' of betta they had in that wsa menat to be peaceful as they had a tank full of what they said were males. They looked female to me, and didn'nt have the pointy anal fin of plakats.

No reason to be offended if all lfs employees put the effort into mentioning this everyone would be a little better of

She is correct angels are very delicate need soft acidic watter tall tanks with minimum current I'm sure you know this but it can't hurt

OohFeeshy said:
Well, considering how people usually think I know b*gger all about fish (I'm 14), most of the workers seem to get that when I comment about their tanks and fish in a funny language they don't much understand called knowing what you're doing, I do actually know what I'm doing. Generally the only 'debates' I've had is with the lfs about the so called 'sub-species' of betta they had in that wsa menat to be peaceful as they had a tank full of what they said were males. They looked female to me, and didn'nt have the pointy anal fin of plakats.
Could have been imbellis :dunno:

us LFS employees just can't help you people...

first you moan cause they sell you anything, big fish litle tank etc

Now you moan that the staff adviced you correctly.

:rolleyes:

I'll have to side with the LFS employees here ... although, perhaps she could have worded it more nicely?

I prefer it when an LFS employee over-explains what I need to know about a fish before buying it (even after I've done all my research). I try to ask intelligent questions to show that I value their opinions, and usually by doing so, you put them at ease about selling you the fish. Also, there's one LFS I go to very regularly and though they don't know me by name yet, they recognise me as a "good customer" and come to chat with me, ask how my fish are, etc -- I think that helps too.

Ultimately, I'd rather the LFS employee be concerned about the home that the fish is going to rather than not caring at all and selling oscars to someone who's going to cram them in a 10-gallon tank or something.

I have had a couple of customers at work say to me "Can i have help from someone with alot of experience", at which point I usually laugh and say How can i help you then.

One woman was quite patronising, she had previously had 4 common goldfish in a 30L BiOrb. 3 of them had died and she had come in to replace them. When i told her that it was too many for a BiOrb and that really if anything only a fantailed goldfish would be suitable, so she shouldn't get anymore.
She laughed at me and told me it was rubbish and that she had kept fish in bowls and they had been fine. I explained that these fish were used to filtered well maintaned tanks and to put them into a bowl or unsuitable tank would have detremental effects..
At this point she said she wanted to speak to someone else but i simply told her they would tell her the same thing, so she stormed out in a huff!

Some people..

Ben

Paul_MTS said:
first you moan cause they sell you anything, big fish litle tank etc

Now you moan that the staff adviced you correctly.
Couldnt have said it better myself. But im no lfs employee! :p

People winge and moan when they are sold something that doesnt belong in their tank or destroys their already existing stock, then when some one does tell you the recquiremnets you get huffy? strange.

Id rather be told the same thing everytime i walked into a petstore rather than them not telin nobody anything.

I cant understand your frustration. Did you tell the kind lfs employee you had been keeping angels successfully already?

I've never gotten advise from LFS employees because I was usually directed by what my Dad said were good fish and which were fish that got big/he didn't know about. Now I can usually figure out what fish are safe and which I can't keep.

Therefore, the only LFS employees that I dislike are the ones who can't catch fish without hurting them :/

Sadly enough, for some people (LFS customers), listening and taking advise is not an option (I HATE those people) , and they usually take an innocent fish home to it's impending doom despite a LFS employee trying to redirect them :X The day I witness an oddball going to a bad home is the day I speak up :p

can't agree with you more Paul MTS :p

One day a lady asked if i knew if anyone was working at the shop( we dont wear uniforms) and i smiled and said "Yes i do" then she laughed and said "No really, can you please tell me" Needless to say i wasn't pleased so i gave her a net and said "Fine, if you don't think anyone is working today, why not catch the fish yourself?"
She droped the net and walked out :p

DD

I have one store I go to on a regular basis. They sell mostly fish, but they have other pets as well. It is a family run store and they all know their stuff. They often try to give me advice. I listen, say thanks and get whatever it is that I am looking for. I also ask questions and show I am interested in what they have to say. I went there for the first time today in a long time. They not only remembered me, they remembered what kind of fish I have. I have to agree with everyone here, at least the employee was trying to be helpful. That is so much better than selling fish to people without caring where or how they are going to be kept.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back