What's new

🐠 TOTM Vote Now! - October 2022 Tank of the Month Contest (17 to 30 US gallons)

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Vote Now for October 2022 Tank of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
POLL IS NOW CLOSED!
tankofthemonth-img.jpg

:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 7 awesome tanks entered in Fishforums' October 2022 Tank of the Month contest featuring tanks sized at 17 to 30 US gallons. View all the tanks and descriptions below and then go to poll at the top of this thread, click on your choice for TOTM, and then click the "Cast" button.

It’s best to view these awesome tanks on a computer screen or a tablet instead of a small phone screen.

Please Note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

Winner will be awarded a neat "Tank of the Month Winner" banner in his profile area and will be featured in a "TOTM Winner" thread for all to see and to comment on. Winner will also be added to our TOTM WALL OF FAME

You are allowed to change your vote if you wish.
This poll will end on October 14th at 4:25 PM ET (US)

Last edited:
Morefish.JPG

Here's my 29-gallon Landen tank, on a black Landen stand and with a Landen light on rims.

I wrote "Ocotber" to follow fishmanic's instructions exactly, haha.

Details:

Last year I started my first nano tank (7 gallons) using tissue culture plants, and by the end of its first year, it was a mass of vegetation, making the 7 ember tetras and amano shrimp invisible. I posted a pic of that and my betta tank on an old thread buried deeply somewhere on this forum.

So this June (4 months ago) I transferred everything over to the new Landen (and cycled with the fish/shrimp, but using the old
HOB filter and all the year-old plants; no fish or shrimp were harmed in this transfer!). I was forced to do so as the old stand was buckling,
so in a way this was an emergency upgrade.

Along the way I bought 13 more ember tetras, making a total of 20, and added eight Harlequin Raspboras. Unfortunately, a blue tetra somehow got added to my bag at the LFS, and it was such a bully I added more -- but the bully drove them all of them out of the tank
except a huge one I suspect is a female. Fine. They hound each other now. The female blue tetra is on the right in the card pic; the smaller male, despite being the worst bully, is usually hiding in the vegetation, or in the back where I can't see.

Glass covered, I continued, knowing I needed bigger fish, so I added a troop of delightful bloodfin tetras (7 total); seven glowlights (of which two are "albino," even if they have beautful orange markings on their fins and eyelids); a few more amanos, not sure of number now, they hide well and some of the original are ageing; and five kuhli loaches who love swimming along the back of the glass. On the card pic, you can just barely see an albino glowlight in the dark beneath the central glowlight. Is that a bloodfin eye lower right of them in the dark area as well? A kuhli loach is somewhat visible doing a u-turn in the non-card pic -- they love swimming through the bubbles!

I have a Fluval CO2 95 gram dispenser (only 1bps) -- paintball, maybe, if I can get over my fear of CO2 cannisters 8'(. A thermo Oase Biomaster 250, plus a 30-gallon bubble filter, are hidden by the spiral vals, one giant sag, and ozelot swords in the back. Other plants are: s. repens, cabomba, scarlet temple plants, some newer Telantheras, both regular and windelov java ferns, some mini-bilbitos -- I hope, otherwise it is firm algae, lol -- two amazon compacta swords, hydrocotle, a sad attempt at microswords (the kuhli loaches won't let me root new things 8'/), susswassertang, a red ludwigia, and yesterday, some tissue culture rotala h'ra among the old dwarf hairgrass from the old tank. The old hairgrass is balding like my own head, so I hope to put it out of its misery when the rotala grows out.

Oh yeah, two types of bacopa, monarda and carolinia, both from the original tank's tissue culture, and some brown crypts. Finally, some more of the old tissue culture, cyperessus helferi in the back right corner. I leave a thick jungle in the middle back to hide the lily pipe and bubble stone, and keep it cut around for swimming space. Oh, I forgot, green cardinalis (another tissue culture -- started in the old nano, and sooo slowww to growww), and some water mistress that is cut back severely on a regular basis along with the octopus plant. Did I mention the anubias? Sure I left something out, if not that. Yes! a small remnant of Anarcharis from the forest I put in for more rapidly cycling the tank transfer. It grows fast and big with CO2! Too fast, hence the scissored near genocide (herbicide?) of the Anarcharis stand. And there is a pothos houseplant in the back right corner, which I am trying to train around the light rim, that has roots coming into the tank.

Almost Dutch-style, except for a piece of wood I carted over from the nano that had hygrophila and java ferns attached. Rounded out are heavily harvested frogbit, water lettuce, and red floaters. The floaters block too much light, but I've found the long spiral val leaves are great for keeping it in a corner, as long as you ruthlessly throw out a lot of floaters.

I add Seachem Nitrogen and Potassium with each water change (40% weekly), a dab of Iron occasionally for the red plants, and then alternate with low doses of Flourish and Trace (once each a week). I place Flourish root tabs in the Fluval Stratum substrate, concentrated on the back heavy root feeders.

Next tank / upgrade for the larger plants I will definitely add a gravel layer under the Stratum, which is perhaps a bit too thick, but roots are already showing at the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:
IMG_6077.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman. This is the latest iteration in the continual progress to finding the perfect scape for my 20g. After winning July 2022 TOTM I figured that it was a good time to move on to the next scape.
After rearranging countless times I think its finally going to grow in very nicely. This current scape is roughly 2 weeks old. The tank itself has been up and running for roughly a year.

PLANTED PLANTS:
Java Moss
Dwarf Sag
Water Sprite
Amazon Sword

FLOATING PLANTS:
Frog Bit
Fertilizer:
Seachem Flourish
Iron(I test and add as necessary)
Seachem Root tabs
Substrate:
Quikrete PFS(I tried quikrete play sand but was unhappy with the results)
Hardscape:
Oak Braches(gathered myself)
Stone(from the fish store)

Stock
8 Neon Tetras
2 Red eye Tetra
1 Miguelito Cory
5 Cherry Barbs

Filteration:
Quiet flow 10
Lighting:

Cheap light from amazon
Heater:
Eheim 100w heater
Cover:
Ugly plexiglass lid I made myself

50% water change every week along with lightly running the python over the sand to pick up debris.
Well, I've told you just about everything I know about this tank.
May the best man win.

NOTE: I have some more plants coming in the mail. If they come before voting starts then I will edit the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my 20g high peacock gudgeon aquarium that has been set up for a little over a year.
20220930_204637.jpg

Plants:
3+ Java ferns
2x anubias coffeefolia
(Will be adding more plants hopefully)

Fertilizer: API leafzone

My two peacock gudgeons have been with me for under a year but I have learned much about each of their behaviors and how the males and females are different from eachother in many ways.
Taking care of the fry and watching breeding behaviours is an experience I can never forget.

I tried to make the scape look as natural as possible, using river rocks and spider/mopani wood as well as a mixed substrate that my male gudgeon like to lay on with his pectoral fins spread out.

*pictures will come later tonight*

IMG_20221002_205426.jpg

Here is my 30g bowfront platy tank!

This tank has been running since November of 2020. However, it looked a lot different back then! It had clown puke gravel, fake plants, a barrel decoration, a neon blue plastic plant, and was stocked with three fancy goldfish, and later some platies 😬.

I decided that this summer, after I lost a lot of fish to what I believe was the paint flaking off of the gravel, that it was time for a redo! I moved my 4 remaining platies to my hospital tank, and COMPLETELY tore down the tank. All the fake gravel, the barrel decoration, the blue plant, gone. I replaced the heater, deep cleaned the filter, and scrubbed all the hard water deposits off of the lid and outside of the filter. I replaced the fake stuff with river rock, vallisneria, and driftwood with anubias. There are still some fake plants in there, but those will be removed once I can replace them with real ones.

Current stocking is:
One adult bumblebee platy (Jazz)
One juvenile bumblebee platy (Tip)
One juvenile red and white platy (Wendy)
One juvenile blue spotted platy (Misty)
One nerite snail

Plants:
Jungle Vallisneria x5
Anubis x1
I have two Amazon Sword in quarantine, but they aren't ready yet.

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.6
Temp: 74 degrees F

I have plans to make this a community tank when I can dedicate more time to it, with more community fish and more plants, I just don't have the time right now.

I'm really proud of how far this tank has come since I started it almost two years ago! I hope you like it :)

IMG_20220930_183752091_HDR.jpg
Hey y'all! Here's my tank even though it isn't in great shape.

Clarity isn't awesome right now, but it should go away once I do a water change this weekend.
So, here's the backstory to my tank:
I was 14, and I had had my 5 gallon tank setup for maybe 3 months when I find out that my dad had been talking about me having fish with his co-workers. Well, one coworker was like "Really, you have fish? That's awesome! What would you think about having one of my tanks?"
So, apparently, the guy bred fish as a hobby, and was moving into a condo, and needed to "downsize" on the number of tanks he had.
That's how I ended up with a 29 gallon tank as beginner fish keeper.
I only recently started customizing it to my own tastes. It had brown gravel, and now has tan pool filter sand and itty bitty gravel.
It runs on a Eheim ecco canister filter.
It is planted with a billion crypts (I'm not sure what variety, but I think wenditii), with a lot of extras floating at the top, and one massive java Fern attached to a hunk of driftwood.
The tank came stocked with endlers live-bearers, which were eaten by the angelfish I put in there (I rehomed those because they were also breading and beating each other up). So now, there is one female BNP and 2 SAEs.
I'm hoping to get maybe a school of 15 ember tetras and a Bolivian ram. Also a better variety of plants. I am considering starting to dose fertilizer, but everything seems to already be well balanced, and I am afraid of messing with it.
Anyway, hope y'all looked the tank!

20221004_220929.jpg

Hello fellow hobbyist, behold my tropical 22 gallon community aquarium. This aquarium is currently a bit more than a year old and is a taller aquarium. I use aquatopia safe guard water conditioner and an api master test kit.

For equipment I have:

1 power filter
1 sponge filter
1 aqua one heater
1 aqua one thermometer
1 tetra air pump
Api master test kit

In the tank I have live plants, I use aqua one iron supplement to feed my plants.
My plants include:
1 medium java fern
2 small anubias
1 large unidentified plant with big leaves.
For non living Deco I have:
1 medium drift wood
1 small drift wood
1 medium rock
2 Indian almond leaves

For fish I have:

7 sterbai corydoras
7 neon tetras
2 apple snails
2 female swordtails.

I feed my corydoras Hikari sinking meat pellets and my tetras Frankie and friends fish granules. I will feed my swordtails frozen brine shrimp and fish granules. 2 times a week I feed them frozen brine shrimp/live brine shrimp.

My water parameters using api master test kit are:
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 15 ppm
Ph: 7
Temp: 26 degrees celcius

Last edited:
45E5A168-AA48-4CAD-9634-C8CBC2D9DF17.jpeg

This is my 29 gallon tank housing 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 4 Tiger Barbs, 1 pepper cory, and 2 Bushynose Plecos.
The plants are Anubias. There is a large piece of driftwood that is covered with plants. The driftwood is arch shaped which allows fish to swim through it.

The Plecos each have their own territory and are very peaceful.

The lighting is an 18 inch 6000K fluorescent tube. The main filter is a Marineland 200 filter. I have replaced the cartridge with a sponge and a layer of floss. I also have a large sponge filter on the right side of the tank. I do a 50% water change every 12 days and rinse out the filter sponge once a month. The floss in the filter gets replaced at the same time I clean and reuse the sponge. The heater is an Aqueon Pro 150 watt model.

I made the 2 red pleco caves out of flagstone and rocks. The substrate is pool filter sand. The Plecos each get a large algae wafer every two days. For the other fish, I drop in New Life Spectrum flakes and occasional frozen brine shrimp. I also occasionally feed Hikari freeze dried shrimp.
Hope you like my tank as much as my fish like it ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back