What's new

Vote Now! - June 2022 Fish of the Month Contest (Bettas)

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Vote Now - June 2022 Fish of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
fotm-banner-small.jpg

POLL IS NOW CLOSED

:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 10 awesome Bettas entered into June 2022 Fish of the Month Contest. View all the entries and descriptions below and then go to the top of page - click on your choice for FOTM and then click the "cast" button.

You are not allowed to update your entry picture or video once voting has started.

Please note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

The winner is awarded a neat banner in his profile area and will be featured in a Winner Thread for all to see and to comment. The winner also will be added to our FOTM Wall of Fame .

Poll will close on June 30th 4:50 PM ET (US).

Good luck to our entrants in the Fish of the Month contest. We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
IMG_20220613_120941_resized_20220613_121106045.jpg

OK...this is my newly adopted Betta called Fred.

Fred came to me from a neighbour who was seriously ill about 10 days ago. Sadly his owner has since passed away, so he will live out his days with me.

He is approximately 3 years old (my neighbour's daughter bought him as a present to her mother, it was the daughter who asked me to take him on when her mum became too ill to remain at home). The name Fred was given to him my my neighbour so I have decided to keep it as a memory to her.

Short finned and really quite unusual colouring....mainly various reds, blacks and white. The black areas actually turn irredescent turquoise under certain light angles, I suspect that he might change his colouration since those with the Marble gene do so anyway. He is very curious, very active and interactive....not at all shy until a camera gets close to him....then he runs and hides like the average typical fish when you want a nice photo of them :lol:

His original aquarium was quite a bit smaller than the one he is living in now. It is an Aquael Smart 30 litre. Decor is black sand, ceramic 3 entry way hide (that he seems to adore). There is a nice covering of live frogbit that he occasionally nibbles or pushes around with his nose. Everything within the aquarium was "stolen" from my 200 litre Diversa since his arrival was planned but happened quicker than expected.

The aquarium is heated by a 50w JBL S Pro, the filtration is an Interpet CF1 and lighting on the aquarium is a replacement to the supplied due to the supplied being too harsh, I have retrofitted a Nicrew RGB MCR instead.

He is quite small for his age, not really sure why but he is thriving with regular feeds of both pellet and shaved frozen foods. Maintenance is weekly 50% water changes and substrate cleaning.

He's a cheeky chappie (a bit like his new owner :lol: )

Screenshot 2022-06-14 9.00.48 PM.png

This is my Alien Betta, He doesn't have a name, but I'm open to suggestions. He currently lives in a 20 long with his lady friend, Don't hate me but he lives with a female betta. and of course my snail army. it has a simple HOB filter, 100w heater, airstone, etc. When I found him at a
LFS he was wimpy, skinny, and on death row. their plan was to euthanize him if he didn't get well, so of course, me being me I had to buy him. he was not cheap, they were asking $30 for him. I paid it :/. I had no space at home so I put him in my female's 20 gallon and he's still there today. He won't eat pellets or flakes, so he's on a live diet and TetraPro Crisp diet. he's now abt 1yr and a half old. he does display a lot of wild traits, but is extremely peaceful towards others. happy voting.
--Aries

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20220614_153015.jpg

This is Kevin my half moon betta. I never really considered getting a betta as I was too selfish to want to commit a whole tank to a single fish but now I work fully remote I decided a desk tank would be a nice addition. It was actually my partners idea to get the betta and I won't say no if she suggests a new fish.. She actually works at a pet store (which is quite dangerous if I'm honest) so when this one came in I went and picked him up that week. I love the blend of blues through his tail and the plain dark blue scales on his head that looks like someone rubbed some colour off.

As a step towards a planted aquarium I went for a mix of gravel and then coarse sand for the substrate with some driftwood and plenty of almond leaves. I do like the darker colour of the water from the tannins and the frogbit on top provides plenty of places for bubble nests and lurking spots with a few plants in the foreground for him to rest on and relax :fish:

Filtration is just a simple sponge filter with a quiet air pump. The only noise is the bubbles popping which is quite nice background noise when working and the water is pretty calm. I will probably continue to keep betta fish going forward, they do have neat little personalities. He's incredibly curious with everything I do in the tank constantly getting in the way, or should I say I keep getting in his way :p

I spent a good 20 minutes trying to get a decent picture that's actually in focus but of course he won't sit still so this will have to do

0899C427-C0FB-48AF-A1F3-663133BB02B6.jpeg

This is my 2nd betta, ‘Swim Shady’. He is the only fish allowed in the house. Mainly because his tank is small enough if it happens to spring a leak it won’t be too messy. He is in a 5 gallon fluval ‘chi’ fish tank. It’s all his besides a little horned nerite, and larger gold mystery snail (and however many mts that hitched a ride on the sword plant). I’ve had him since the beginning of April. I got him from Petco (I know not the best, but limited options). He was marked as a mermaid, but from what I’ve looked up online he is most likely a mustard betta, don’t know the exact tail/fin type. But it really doesn’t matter to me, I like him and so does the girlfriend (which is the opinion that matters the most 😁)

Tank gets cleaned once a week, about 75% new water each time. Not to mention all the top offs in-between since my cat likes to drink from the fountain style filter output.

He gets fed a mix of pellets, flakes, and frozen bloodworms as an occasional snack.

He is definitely the most active betta I’ve ever seen. Always swimming all over his little space. Happy as can be, as far as I can tell. Hope you find him as attractive as I do. 🤙🏽

sdfjkdsfk.jpg

This is my 3 year old betta Spike. He's a blue marble dragon scale plakat. He's a pretty shy guy, but he's also very curious. He loves checking out random objects that I'll hold up to the tank. For an old man he's quite active too and loves patrolling ever inch of his tank. In between patrols of he can be found resting in one of his many shady spots.

Species: betta splendens
Tank size: 5 gallons
Maintenance: The tank gets a WC 1-2 x per week usually 50%-60% each time. Filter media rinsed occasionally, hob filter cleaned monthly.
Menu: staples include nutrafin bug bites and northfin betta bits. Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp are his weekend treat.
Temp: 80 °F
Tankmates: None

20220615_190004.jpg

Here's Simon, pardon the pun but I couldn't get a betta picture....sorry he's too interested in what he thinks I have for his tea tonight!

I'm not entirely sure what type he is, I had a good choice of colours to choose from but really fell for this little dude.
He is surrounded by plants and java amongst others, he seems to like this. He has a heated tank and snail lodgers, he allows me to clean his home once a week, running the vac around and polishing the windows inside and out.
He has a variety of foods like brine shrimp, bloodworm, mosquito lava, daphnia. Sometimes little bits of pea and maybe flake.

Simon has been around for just over a year with me, and is loving his forever home.

IMG_20220619_163049.jpg

species, Betta Hendra (female)
age, Less than 3 months old
tank mates, male Betta Hendra
tank size, 6 gallons
name you gave it, Eleven (lol, from the girl at Stranger things. I'm a huge fan)
unique traits, super active, she loves to explore
feedings, Live bbs, frozen bbs/ cyclops/ daphnia/ discus food, (and looots of detritus and cyclops that live in the tank, lol)
Meet my girl, Eleven. I got her one week ago, she had a long 2 week trip from Borneo. I love her so much, it's so much fun to observe her behaviour. She's still a youngster and is a brownish grey color, but I think she's already so beautiful! I don't believe I'll win but I wanted to show her to you!

D3821894-D542-4F78-A4EC-11D17229A828.jpeg

caught my betta mid blowing a bubble :) Its one of the coolest and best pics I have.

species: male half moon plakat betta fish
tank mates: non
tank size: 8 gallons
name: Blaze for how fast it swims and it’s colours
unique traits: cool ventral fin shape and personality
feeding: twice a day

I got him from a small fish store in a shopping mall. My first betta had just died so i was looking for another one. At the fish store, they only had four bettas, three halfmoons and a plakat, him. The other bettas were all in those tiny betta cups looking gloomy and sad. On the other hand, he had his own small i think 2.5 gallon tank with some fake plants and a filter. He was zooming around in the tank. Immediately, his personality and colours caught my eye. As he had his own tank and was on the counter, I thought that he was not on sale at first. I asked the staff and luckily for me, he was on sale! I was really happy when i heard this! His colours and personality just made for the right betta as i have always wanted an active plakat betta that was brightly coloured and had some iridescence! That time too, i was still relatively new to the hobby so i wanted to get a healthy betta as i am quite sure that if i bought a sick one, it would die a worse death. The best part was that he was like half the price of the halfmoons. I was on a limited budget so that was perfect! When i finally released him into his new home, he immediately started zooming around and checking around. He has injured his fins a little a week ago but he is still as active, curious and playful as ever and i still adore him very much!

Good luck to all contestants too! :)

Note: first picture for the poll pls!

IMG_20220618_100247.jpg

This is my betta “Tesco”, he is a halfmoon plakat and I have had him for almost 2 years. He is supposed to be a Thai flag colour, hence the name Tesco, but over time lost the white stripes.

His tank is the 9 gallon fluval flex which he shares with 3 amano shrimp and a handful of pest/bladder snails. For lighting I use the fluval led lamp that slots into the hood of the tank and for filtration I use the built in system that I modified slightly to hold more beneficial bacteria. I also modified the output by putting sponge over it to reduce water flow strength. The substrate is fluval stratum which I add root tabs to for heavy root feeders as the tank is heavily planted. I do 15-20% water changes weekly or biweekly.

Tesco’s favourite activities include building bubble nests, scavenging for food and his new favourite, avoiding the camera. It took me 30 mins to get a good picture of him, he doesn’t stop moving!! I feed him a mixture of food including bug bites, pro colour pellets and tropical crisp flakes. Tesco is a very curious and active betta and I hope you’ll like him as much as I do.

Good luck everyone :)

End of Entries:
Slowly scroll up as you review the 10 awesome entries. Then, in the poll at the top of this topic, click on your choice for FOTM and then click the "cast" button.

Coming at the end of this month, we will be accepting entries in our Tank of the Month contest. For June, we will be featuring tanks sized at 17 to 30 US gallons. If you have a tank of that size, we hope you enter the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back