English & Grammar

thats what i hate, people that were told several times that they should try to improve, then they say ok and that they will but weeks later they never even tryed.

oh yea, i had to type in yellow. ha ha ha . just highlite it with your mouse and then you can read it.

I just think it's nice to actually be able to read a post and understand what it means without having to read it 3 or 4 times. And punctuation does matter. A period, comma or other punctuation mark can completely change the meaning of a sentence or make it actually readable. And it's not that difficult to run a spell checker. There's one on the forum. All you have to do is click the button.

As already mentioned, if you're from another country and don't quite understand the language, that's fine. But if you're simply too lazy to type "you" instead of "u", then maybe we should be too lazy to type in a reply to your question.

But let's put another slant on this thread.

Q) How utterly condescending and annoying is it when some jumped up *insert-insult-here* quotes and corrects sentences that you've posted?
I tend to think: If I wanted an English lesson, I'd have posted the relevant question on www.knowitallEnglishcorrectionforum.com

Know what I mean? I don't take umbridge at peoples posts - they're there, take it or leave it - it's an open forum. What is the point in getting annoyed at someone else's mistakes - it's like TV - if you don't like it, turn it off! :shifty:

Andy

I don't get annoyed at their mistakes and rarely do I point them out unless I totally don't understand what they are saying or asking and need clarification. It's hard to give a reasonable answer if you don't understand the question. I actually replied to a post a week or so ago and gave an answer that was useless to the asker because I had misinterpreted what they we asking since it wasn't worded clearly. I agree that we don't need to be giving English lessons and a lot of people have done that in particular with grimmy. Maybe that's where this thread originated. Who knows.

The issue at heart here is clear comprehension of concepts. When someone writes in an unfamiliar or unclear manner, the concepts are not conveyed properly. The English language has enough subtleties and words with multiple meanings that it is confusing enough to start with. When abbreviations and shortcuts and confusing methods of writing are used, the information becomes unclear or even lost. That is why there is a standard to writing -- everyone follows the same rules so that when two people write the same thing, they are supposed to mean the same thing.

I participate in a fair number of forums, and this issue of comprehension is more important on some that others. The most important one is the fireworks forum I participate on once in a while. Conveying exact meanings is an absolute necessity, since mistakes or unclear meaning or incorrect information means that people can get seriously hurt or die. In my mind, this forum is a second tier, because while we are dealing with living creatures dependent upon us for survival, they aren't people. Incorrect information, or confusion, or unreadability means that a fish could very well die. Then there is a third tier, like one of the golf forums I participate one, since the worst that can happen there is someone's swing gets all messed up, but chances are that people or animals aren't going to be hurt as a direct consequence.

So, in my opinion, it is a matter of information comprehension. If you want your information to be as clear as possible, you write well. If you don't care enough about your question or comment to write it in anything but abbreviation and txt-speak, then expect rotten replies.

I usually try to wade through even the difficult posts to work out a meaning. I find it's helpful (at least for me) to answer their post with a question such as, "Are you meaning to say how many of fish x will fit in tank size y?" Then go on to answer as "If that is what you mean, then this many will work", or something like that. However I do occasionally scratch my head and go huh?! And while broken English from English-as-a-second-language users can sometimes be a little difficult, it's usually the UK posters that give me the most trouble. It's hilarious we speak the same language SO differently. :lol:

I just try to use simple words (with no offense to anyones intelligence, least of all my own) and avoid slang as much as possible.

It is very rude in my opinion to answer a post that is hard to read with, "Can you try saying that in English!", why not just say, "I'm sorry but I'm having difficulties understanding what you are saying, could you rephrase it." I understand getting frustrated with posters who constantly have unintelligible posts, but in many cases, rudeness just isn't called for.

j00 guy2 R jsut teh scraed5 of l337! I cn pwn uall!

... Or perhaps not...

As mentioned above, there is a big difference between someone who has genuine difficulties with a language and one who thinks appearing lazy is cool. I have never yet seen a dyslexic, or someone who speaks English as a second language, manifest their lack of omplete control of the language by adopting txt or leet speak.

All too often this debate is muddied by people erroneously bringing in points about foreign languages or learning difficulties.

Most reactions

trending

Back