Endler/guppy question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChatB1

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I bought a few female and male guppys several months ago. One female gave birth fairly quickly so I assume she was pregnant when I got her.
The fry are all growing quite big now and I've noticed one is not quite like the rest!
I've done some reading and found that guppies and endlers can breed, but is it common that only one of the fry looks like an endler?
20230208_205820.jpg
20230208_205840.jpg

Hi,
First of all, the batch of fry you had from this female could've been fathered by more than just one male. A female can mate with multiple males and store the sperm in the folds of her fallopian tube. Once she decides to fertilize her eggs, she can open up one or more folds randomly to release one or more sperm packets. Because this happens randomly, not all offspring from the same batch have to look exactly the same. So, if she's used sperm from one or more males, the phenotype of the offspring can differ.
So, to answer your question: but is it common that only one of the fry looks like an endler? Yes, it can be...

But also the male(s) or female can be of a mixed descent which can result in a batch of offspring that look different from another.

Hi,
First of all, the batch of fry you had from this female could've been fathered by more than just one male. A female can mate with multiple males and store the sperm in the folds of her fallopian tube. Once she decides to fertilize her eggs, she can open up one or more folds randomly to release one or more sperm packets. Because this happens randomly, not all offspring from the same batch have to look exactly the same. So, if she's used sperm from one or more males, the phenotype of the offspring can differ.
So, to answer your question: but is it common that only one of the fry looks like an endler? Yes, it can be...

But also the male(s) or female can be of a mixed descent which can result in a batch of offspring that look different from another.
That is really interesting! I knew they could store sperm, but it hadn't occurred to me that this means several males could father one batch of babies. Thanks for replying!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back