Encyclopedia Of Life

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lljdma06

Retired moderator :)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I was watching the CBS evening news today and Ms. Couric finally had a story that didn't bore me to tears. Evidently, jumping on the Wikipedia craze is a web movement to create species profiles of all the species of the earth. Each page would have two versions, one for the scientific novice and one for the experienced scientist. This website is actually encouraging contributions from the general populace. Perhaps this may be a project for some of our TFF people to be involved in. We have many people here who would write fantastic species profiles. Imagine a contribution on Cherry barbs or Heternantera zosterfolia by you!

Below is a link to the story that was on CBS today.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/08/...in2777398.shtml

EDIT: thought I'd add the actual link to the website.

http://www.ngbw.org/eol/index.html

Just thought I'd share. It's definitely a topic that pertains to this subsection.

llj

It is a neat idea, but scientifically and (in the professional world), I don't like it.

It is a neat idea, but scientifically and (in the professional world), I don't like it.

Why? I can certainly see drawbacks regarding the accuracy of the information obtained, this is also a drawback to the large databases (Wikipedia, Answers.com, etc). It also discourages people from conducting their own research, which I think is important. This is a common trend that I am now seeing, however, people being spoonfed information. Still, I'd love to contribute articles on aquatic plants, which may be a part of the database that may be neglected as would tropical fish. I figured there are people here who have a wealth of knowledge on these subjects and would contribute wonderful profiles on a part of nature that may otherwise be neglected.

llj

It's a neat website to pick up odd information but if I were to do a research article, newsletter, college essay I would want to go to a more...accurate portrayal of what I am researching.

I think it's a good idea. Maybe you should post it in the tropical fish chit chat and see what others think about it.

Yeah my boyfriend told me about that. That has got to be one heck of a huge-mongous book. And i can't even begin to imagine the cost of it. There has to be tons of research in it. (so i hope) and not thos short little 4 sentence blips about one animal and that's it. That would be boring. Can't wait to see it when it's out !! :nod: :book:

Most reactions

Back