EMO's Eventual Aquaponic Thirty

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Okay, maybe I'll treat my dad while he's up this week and take him with me to PetCo and get some stuff for that. I think he already had a plan for Home Depot so I'll see about getting the sand there.

Also, I always read your username as "slaphappy" and I always giggle.
Sounds like a plan...you can use practically anything to fasten that JF onto...nice sized rock, driftwood, anything to get (and keep) that rhizome exposed...I've had some fastened to coconut caves in the past

LOL about the username...

Do you have anything in mind? Wood? Rocks? Spongebob ornaments? Java fern needs to be attached to whatever using thread or cyanoacrylate superglue but eventually it will cling by itself like ivy does.
I honestly have no freaking idea what I'm going to use. Maybe wood, but not sure. Will see what they have at PetCo and decide from there.

One must keep in mind the intended fish species, and make sure the tank aquascape provides what those fish require and expect. There are fish that must have real wood for their digestive health. There are fish that require rocks, real or fake usually doesn't matter. There are fish that need sand substrate. Fish that need caves of some sort. The fish need to come first.

One must keep in mind the intended fish species, and make sure the tank aquascape provides what those fish require and expect. There are fish that must have real wood for their digestive health. There are fish that require rocks, real or fake usually doesn't matter. There are fish that need sand substrate. Fish that need caves of some sort. The fish need to come first.
As far as I know cory cats, mollies and platies don't need caves or wood... I'm working on getting the sand for the cory cats as well.

As far as I know cory cats, mollies and platies don't need caves or wood... I'm working on getting the sand for the cory cats as well.

This identifies another issue, which I think was mentioned either in this thread or the thread about all your fish dying. The GH is very soft, and livebearers like mollies and platies will not do well nor last long. Cories are suited to soft water, with sand of course.

This raises another point though, that of obviously needing to fertilize for the plants growing hydroponically. This is likely going to be a problem for some fish, like the cories.

This identifies another issue, which I think was mentioned either in this thread or the thread about all your fish dying. The GH is very soft, and livebearers like mollies and platies will not do well nor last long. Cories are suited to soft water, with sand of course.

This raises another point though, that of obviously needing to fertilize for the plants growing hydroponically. This is likely going to be a problem for some fish, like the cories.
What fish would work with my water?

Also, I don't plan to add any fertilizer.

What fish would work with my water?

Also, I don't plan to add any fertilizer.

Soft water species of fish, subject obviously to size (of the fish relative to the tank), numbers of the species needed, and compatibility. It is difficult to suggest specific species without knowing the tank data. As I mentioned previously, many fish require specific aquascaping items, different lighting, filtration/water flow, etc.

Soft water species of fish, subject obviously to size (of the fish relative to the tank), numbers of the species needed, and compatibility. It is difficult to suggest specific species without knowing the tank data. As I mentioned previously, many fish require specific aquascaping items, different lighting, filtration/water flow, etc.
Fair fair.
It's a thirty gallon tank and with time I'd be able to update it to whatever is needed.
I've got two Aqueon QuietFlow 30 filters rated for up to 45 gallons each. I've got a preset for 78° F and while I have small pebble gravel with plant substrate, I am working to switch it to sand.

WE GOT RADISH SPROUTS!!!!

20230214_150608.jpg

20230214_150611.jpg

Sprouts are still going strong.

It is nice to know my attempt at aquaponically growing vegetables and herbs has worked for at least now. Now the rush to raise the lamp up off the tank really begins.

I was a little nervous it wasn't going to work at first.

Update on radish sprouts:

20230217_095356.jpg

20230217_095400.jpg

Debating also buying a grow light that can be raised above the tank for the sprouts. Really just debating the cost as one light is $50 and is for a 10"x20" space. So I'd need at least one, maybe two.

Here is an update of the tank.
Bought the grow light. Plan to fix it so I can remove the tank light. Will most likely buy another light and put them at an angle.

Lost a few more Cory cats. I don't think I'll be replacing them once they pass on. I may get some guppies instead.

I have not had time to switch the Java fern to wood. I haven't even been able to get the sand either. Apparently Home Depot near me didn't have it. Might have to wait for warmer weather to get it.

Anyhow, here are photos.

20230219_110932.jpg

20230219_110938.jpg

20230219_110938.jpg

20230219_110949.jpg

20230219_110951.jpg

Opinions?

I just saw some white skirted tetras at PetCo and I'm debated getting some. Would they work in my thirty gallon tank and would they get along with the mollies, platies, and cory cats?

Also, they had two betta fish in with other fish and I felt so bad for the betta. I almost bough two five gallons just to save them. But then realized I am broke until next week and decided against it. Although...I do have an extra ten and fifteen/twenty gallon tank lying around I could use...

Anyhow, opinions on the white skirted tetras: Yay or Nay?

Skirt tetras (aka widow tetras) in all their colours - black, white, Glo - are noted as being fin nippers, which are usually recommended to be kept in a larger than usual group to theoretically keep the nipping within their own species, though it doesn't always work.
As far as water conditions are concerned, their hardness range is 5 to 20 dH so they are compatible with mollies and platies, and with cories. It is worth noting that mollies and platies are hard water fish while cories are soft water fish so mollies/platies and cories are not really compatible.

Awesome! Thank you for the input. I'm debating letting the cories pass on as I can't seem to keep them alive while it seems like the mollies and platies are doing great.
Skirt tetras (aka widow tetras) in all their colours - black, white, Glo - are noted as being fin nippers, which are usually recommended to be kept in a larger than usual group to theoretically keep the nipping within their own species, though it doesn't always work.
As far as water conditions are concerned, their hardness range is 5 to 20 dH so they are compatible with mollies and platies, and with cories. It is worth noting that mollies and platies are hard water fish while cories are soft water fish so mollies/platies and cories are not really compatible.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back