Elephant Nose Feeding And Care

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

TylerFerretLord

g͝e͠ek҉
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I bought two elephant fish thinking they looked neat, unaware of how high-maintenance they are(old fish store said they eat flakes. -.-). I read up, found how picky they can be, so I bought some frozen bloodworms.

My question is, how do I feed them? My other fish swarm the moment they see me, and eat them all. I know they're nocturnal, and need high quality water(currently using zeonite to keep ammonia down while medicating for ich), but how do I get it to them? They either don't see it and it hits the gravel or the other fish grab them.

Will they take it from the bottom if it's not alive? Should I try tubifex or mosquito?

Any help, feeding or otherwise would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't want them to survive cycling only to starve to death. :unsure:

I bought two elephant fish thinking they looked neat, unaware of how high-maintenance they are(old fish store said they eat flakes. -.-). I read up, found how picky they can be, so I bought some frozen bloodworms.

My question is, how do I feed them? My other fish swarm the moment they see me, and eat them all. I know they're nocturnal, and need high quality water(currently using zeonite to keep ammonia down while medicating for ich), but how do I get it to them? They either don't see it and it hits the gravel or the other fish grab them.

Will they take it from the bottom if it's not alive? Should I try tubifex or mosquito?

Any help, feeding or otherwise would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't want them to survive cycling only to starve to death. :unsure:
Hello again, Glad to hear you picked up some bloodworms so you can better care for your EN's. IF the cycling doesnt kill them first, I would try using a turkey baster. Just thaw a cube of frozen bloodworms and suck them up in the baster and the squirt some directly in front of them or right in front of their cave. Make sure if at all possible you actually see them get some. Good luck with your current situation I know its been rough :good:

Drew

Hello again, Glad to hear you picked up some bloodworms so you can better care for your EN's. IF the cycling doesnt kill them first, I would try using a turkey baster. Just thaw a cube of frozen bloodworms and suck them up in the baster and the squirt some directly in front of them or right in front of their cave. Make sure if at all possible you actually see them get some. Good luck with your current situation I know its been rough :good:

Drew

Thanks.

And I'm not currently cycling, zeonite is the only thing keeping my tank from exploding in ammonia. I figured that it would be best just to rely on it until I clean up the ich and learn more about fish before I try to cycle.

I'm still doing 50% water changes daily and cutting back on feeding until then, just to keep ammonia as low as possible.

Also, are they supposed to look like they have a very thick coating of whitish slime?

They were like that when I got them, but it seems strange, espcially since some is beginning to peel off the larger one from rubbing on the rocks, especially since I started the ich treatment.

EDIT: I thinks it's chilodonella. What would you reccomend to treat it? They show all the symptoms. I will try to get a picture in the morning.

Also, are they supposed to look like they have a very thick coating of whitish slime?

They were like that when I got them, but it seems strange, espcially since some is beginning to peel off the larger one from rubbing on the rocks, especially since I started the ich treatment.

EDIT: I thinks it's chilodonella. What would you reccomend to treat it? They show all the symptoms. I will try to get a picture in the morning.
Ok few things
1. Just a thought, wont the 50 percent daily WC simply dilute the medications more than you are already ( I know you are half dosing for sensitive species, but IMO that doesnt make any sense, there is a reason for the directions on how much to dose. Should pick up some ich medication for senstive species and full dose. Just my opinion). I think it might be better to do a water change before every treatment.
2.Also, I am sure you are aware but those zeolites will eventually leak amonia/ammonium back into the tank. I would await other for other members to reply on how often to change those or when to just toss them when your ready to cycle. Keep a close eye on your stats.
3. The thick coating of white slime doesnt sound normal, I would def post in the emergency section ASAP with pics and fill out the form at the top of the page. There are some amazing "fish doctors" in that section and on this site that can help. Also make sure to mention you are treating for ich as you want to be careful mixing meds.

Ok I think I answered as many of your questions to the best of my ability. Good luck and keep me/us updated.

Drew

It is definately chilodonella, I read it covers the eyes and this is what it is doing.

Malachite green should kill it, according to a few sites.

It is definately chilodonella, I read it covers the eyes and this is what it is doing.

Well I am assuming that is the same thing you are treatign the ich with? If so, at least you dont have to buy another medication (unless you decide to get the ich treatment for sensitive species and full dose). Still would reccomend posting in the emergency section also. Poor elephant nose :sad:

Drew

I just saw your post in the emergency section, Scratch that part.
BTW, I know a lot has happened in the last four days but you are handling it very well and doing the best you can do and thats all anyone could ask :thumbs:

Well I am assuming that is the same thing you are treatign the ich with? If so, at least you dont have to buy another medication (unless you decide to get the ich treatment for sensitive species and full dose). Still would reccomend posting in the emergency section also. Poor elephant nose :sad:

Drew

BTW, I know a lot has happened in the last four days but you are handling it very well and doing the best you can do and thats all anyone could ask :thumbs:

They died. :(

My other fish have it now too, along with the ich. I was treating with the super ich cure from the makers of stress-coat, new LFS owner said it was fast and the best for ich. He seems much more knowledgeable about fish, especcialy when it comes to the high maintenance ones( he had a tank of healthy elephant noses, compare that to the cholidonella infested tank of them at the other store).

I'm going to carbon the ich cure out and get maracide, medicine list says it is effective against all parasites.

Drew

They died. :(

My other fish have it now too, along with the ich. I was treating with the super ich cure from the makers of stress-coat, new LFS owner said it was fast and the best for ich. He seems much more knowledgeable about fish, especcialy when it comes to the high maintenance ones( he had a tank of healthy elephant noses, compare that to the cholidonella infested tank of them at the other store).

I'm going to carbon the ich cure out and get maracide, medicine list says it is effective against all parasites.
Aww man bummer. Im sorry. Sounds like a good idea to run some carbon and start over with the medicine. You tried your best to save them so dont feel too bad. Dont give up and let me know how the treatment is going and any questions you may have. Good luck Tyler.

Drew

Tyler --

Sorry you had a bad experience with the elephantnose fish. Some general advice if you decide to try again...

Only keep them in a mature aquarium. They are *extremely* sensitive to poor water quality. Water chemistry doesn't matter much, but quality does. Ammonia and nitrite have to be zero. Nitrates as low as you can get them. Certainly less than 50 mg/l, ideally less than 20 mg/l.

Elephantnoses are territorial in aquaria. In the wild, they live in big groups, but in aquaria not so much. So keep just one. If you happened to have a 200 gallon tank, then maybe you could try a school of 6 or more. But otherwise just the one.

Never, ever use medications of any sort in in a tank with elephantnoses. Most standard medications kill them. They seem to be very sensitive to some of the common things in medications such as copper and formalin. Always ask for medications "safe for mormyrids" (there are a few) or else medications safe with reef invertebrates and stingrays, as they're similar in sensitivity. Otherwise, always remove other fish to a quarantine tank for treatment.

Feeding elephantnoses is incredibly difficult in a tank with loaches and catfish. I would always recommend that they are kept only with day-active, midwater fish (barbs, tetras, angelfish, etc.). Elephantnoses basically only accept live bloodworms and the like at first, and only eventually accept frozen alternatives. Flake and such are ignored. If they are the only night-time bottom feeders, you have a reasonable chance of them taking the food you put in the tank at night. If you have catfish and loaches... the elephantnoses are too slow and starve. Simple as that.

These are fantastic fish, but the sad fact is that for 99% of fishkeepers, they are impossible to keep alive. You have to be dedicated and serious about keeping them. It is a shame they are so widely sold... the death toll must be vast. I doubt one in a hundred lasts more than a few months. Kept properly though, they are lovely animals. They are considered to be extremely intelligent fish and are one of the *very* few fish for which apparent play behaviour has been observed.

Cheers, Neale

Very good to read anything by you Neale :good: I only wish you had found this thread earlier as I was doing my best to help but your expertise could have proven invaluable. Tyler, just so your aware nmonks is a very well respected member of this site and has written numerous books on fish. :good:

Drew

Tyler --

Sorry you had a bad experience with the elephantnose fish. Some general advice if you decide to try again...

Only keep them in a mature aquarium. They are *extremely* sensitive to poor water quality. Water chemistry doesn't matter much, but quality does. Ammonia and nitrite have to be zero. Nitrates as low as you can get them. Certainly less than 50 mg/l, ideally less than 20 mg/l.

Elephantnoses are territorial in aquaria. In the wild, they live in big groups, but in aquaria not so much. So keep just one. If you happened to have a 200 gallon tank, then maybe you could try a school of 6 or more. But otherwise just the one.

Never, ever use medications of any sort in in a tank with elephantnoses. Most standard medications kill them. They seem to be very sensitive to some of the common things in medications such as copper and formalin. Always ask for medications "safe for mormyrids" (there are a few) or else medications safe with reef invertebrates and stingrays, as they're similar in sensitivity. Otherwise, always remove other fish to a quarantine tank for treatment.

Feeding elephantnoses is incredibly difficult in a tank with loaches and catfish. I would always recommend that they are kept only with day-active, midwater fish (barbs, tetras, angelfish, etc.). Elephantnoses basically only accept live bloodworms and the like at first, and only eventually accept frozen alternatives. Flake and such are ignored. If they are the only night-time bottom feeders, you have a reasonable chance of them taking the food you put in the tank at night. If you have catfish and loaches... the elephantnoses are too slow and starve. Simple as that.

These are fantastic fish, but the sad fact is that for 99% of fishkeepers, they are impossible to keep alive. You have to be dedicated and serious about keeping them. It is a shame they are so widely sold... the death toll must be vast. I doubt one in a hundred lasts more than a few months. Kept properly though, they are lovely animals. They are considered to be extremely intelligent fish and are one of the *very* few fish for which apparent play behaviour has been observed.

Cheers, Neale

Thank you very much, I plan on getting another one once I have MUCH more experience with fishkeeping. If only they were as easy to take care of as reptiles.

And they were never aggressive when I watched them. They actually seemed to like staying together. Possibly a male and a female?

Most reactions

Back