Electricity

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Granted that I am a weird person but I rather enjoy messing with big business, especially utilities and cable. Here are a few examples.

1) When I bought my house in Ohio it was still under construction. When finished and I moved in I called the water company to have a meter put in and they actually got a little hostile saying that they didn't appreciate such jokes as there was nor residence at my address. :dunno: I covered my bases and did a bit of research and sent them both registered and certified letters requesting a meter. Three or four years later they contact me saying that I didn't have a meter and they would have to estimate my usage for the entire time but I had them due to Ohio regulations only allow billing estimates for the prior six months.

2) When I left Ohio and moved to Ft. Worth Texas in 1987 I contacted the phone company to start service. They wanted $90.00 USD to turn on my phone even though all the wiring was there and they just had to enter the service in their system. In 1987 not many had a computer but I did. Fired up my desktop publishing software and made a fake attorney letterhead and stated that our client (me) considered the charge excessive and there was a $45.00 USD check included with the balance being held in escrow with the clerk of courts awaiting future litigation. I was surprised at how fast I got a response stating that the $45.00 USD payment would be considered sufficient.

3) Then on to Jacksonville Beach Florida... Got a call from my cable company offering a deal for just about everything for like $56.00 USD and I took it. Following month the bill was proper but the next month the bill was like $100.00 USD more. They said that the year price was from the introduction of the deal and it had expired. To me this was an obvious scam so I contacted the City Manager's Office which handled cable disputes. They said that they could do nothing over the phone and I would need to submit a written complaint which I did. Shortly after I got a phone call from them stating that out of well over 200 complaints mine was the only one they could use to take action. I had names, times, dates and short versions of all communications with the cable company. The City Manager's Office forced the cable company to honor the deal for an additional year starting from the date of my complaint.

Utilities seem to think they have you under their thumb but that is only true if you allow. It is actually cheaper for them to compromise rather than fight with you if you are persistent.

Sadly, in the UK at least, it tends to be the dumb people who produce the most kids.... !

well I have a few friends in europe saying eletricity/gas bills are getting to be a bit too much
to the point whoever can afford and has the space to go solar...people are just moving on...
I've seen lately quite a few people on here going on about their electricity requirements for their fish tanks and so on...
how about energy storage?
people can literally go into a junkyard and just get car batteries for cheap...
charge them during off peak hours and use them on peak hours
that alone will lower the electricity bill quite a bit

Thats a great price for the US. Averages are much higher than that if you can even find a place.
Well it is 'senior housing' that lower income people can get state help; Have to be at least 55 to live here. I don't do the state stuff paying full rent instead. With my income the state stuff would not make a big difference and I'd rather pay full and not put up with the state being able to come in to inspect and tell me I should be living at any time. Still it does help some people. I know people in the building that pay as little as $450.00/month.

Since the initial post was about power going out and concern about a tank one might consider getting a UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply). These usints are normally considered as battery backups for computers but can work just as well for a tank. I have my tank's filtration and heater connected to such a unit. If the power goes out the battery backup kicks in and filtration and heat is maintained.
which do you use, im looking for a good backup supply for emergency situations?

which do you use, im looking for a good backup supply for emergency situations?
what do you intend on running? lights...pumps...heaters etc....and the wattage from each of those?
then, whats the average blackout time for your area? 5 mins? 1 hour? 5 hours?
that's what will decide the capacity of backup power you need...
a 255 watt/capacity ups battery like the one @jaylach posted can provide power to a 200w heater (40gal) and a 25w water pump for about 1h

My flat is all electric

No gas supply by my own choice since I do not like using gas (bad experience of side effects years ago)

My electricity account (British Gas) is £650 in credit, my broadband (Virgin) is £250 in credit, my mobile (O2) is £200 in credit. My water is paid in one go every April (£235 per annum) and my Council Tax is always paid in full in March (£275). My TV is FreeSat - £49.00 initial outlay for the decoder and no subscription 200+ channels.

I refuse to pay by direct debit since I like to control what goes out of my account. All bills get top ups paid by debit card via the individual company's website, usually lump tween £200 and £350 onto the bill accounts every 8-10 weeks (I save up the required amounts, set by me). I refused to have credit cards and loans etc. I do not have a car since my health will not allow that but there is a half decent bus service and taxi's should I need to go anywhere such as the hospital. My groceries are ordered online and delivered by the supermarket (never had any trouble getting delivery slots, even during the pandemic)

I am on disability benefits, so a tight budget ability is an absolute must. I no longer drink alcohol or smoke ciggies or go on holidays since they are, to me at least, luxury items and not essential (I have seem much of the world when either working or after some serious saving up). My two freezers and my fridge is always full, the fish have enough food to last them at least 8 months (along with filter media, spares etc). I often buy clothing online from charity shops otherwise I have a specific supplier of bulk order t-shirts and Indian cotton skirts which is what I live in day in, day out. Labels do not interest me.

What you see is what you get with me. I want for nothing. I have zero debts.

If I want something I save up for it. Always been that way and not about to change now.

My flat is all electric

No gas supply by my own choice since I do not like using gas (bad experience of side effects years ago)

My electricity account (British Gas) is £650 in credit, my broadband (Virgin) is £250 in credit, my mobile (O2) is £200 in credit. My water is paid in one go every April (£235 per annum) and my Council Tax is always paid in full in March (£275). My TV is FreeSat - £49.00 initial outlay for the decoder and no subscription 200+ channels.

I refuse to pay by direct debit since I like to control what goes out of my account. All bills get top ups paid by debit card via the individual company's website, usually lump tween £200 and £350 onto the bill accounts every 8-10 weeks (I save up the required amounts, set by me). I refused to have credit cards and loans etc. I do not have a car since my health will not allow that but there is a half decent bus service and taxi's should I need to go anywhere such as the hospital. My groceries are ordered online and delivered by the supermarket (never had any trouble getting delivery slots, even during the pandemic)

I am on disability benefits, so a tight budget ability is an absolute must. I no longer drink alcohol or smoke ciggies or go on holidays since they are, to me at least, luxury items and not essential (I have seem much of the world when either working or after some serious saving up). My two freezers and my fridge is always full, the fish have enough food to last them at least 8 months (along with filter media, spares etc). I often buy clothing online from charity shops otherwise I have a specific supplier of bulk order t-shirts and Indian cotton skirts which is what I live in day in, day out. Labels do not interest me.

If I want something I save up for it. Always been that way and not about to change now.
that's the reason why lots of brits retire in the suburbs of Portugal xD
internet+tv+phone = 25-45€/month
rent outside of lisbon/porto 450€
electricity/water/gas about 100-200€/month depending on usage
a pension of 1000£ is more than enough to live in Portugal as long as you don't intend on living in a major city like Lisbon where rents can be about 700-900/month
plus it's warm and you can take up fishing and play cards/checkers/chess like all the older folk do in parks and such as the weather allows for it
you're not going to live like a king...but won't be counting pennies either
plus there's lots of brits already...
just have to find out where there's pockets of them since it's always better to have someone to talk to in our native language and that can explain where to get things etc...

My flat is all electric

Are you married?

what do you intend on running? lights...pumps...heaters etc....and the wattage from each of those?
then, whats the average blackout time for your area? 5 mins? 1 hour? 5 hours?
that's what will decide the capacity of backup power you need...
a 255 watt/capacity ups battery like the one @jaylach posted can provide power to a 200w heater (40gal) and a 25w water pump for about 1h
I have 2 20g running a 100w heater each. With an air pump each. I wouldn’t worry so much about my. So I would think 300w plus. And sometimes the outage is a few hours to all day/night.

So if you are using the full 255w. What’s the run time?
I don't use the full draw so I get at least a few hours if not longer. With your draw you may want something more like what I use on my main computer which is something like 1200 watt. With the 1200 watt UPS I have my main display, computer, Internet modem, router and phone connected to the battery.

A lot of this is about balance. With two tanks with each having a 100 watt heater what I linked would be too small. Since you seem to have longer outages I would say at least a 1200 watt.

The longest outage I've experienced has been something like 8 hours and the 1200 watt UPS did the job. The thing is that I have several computers. When I get an outage I shut down my main system and display leaving the UPS just doing my phone, modem and router. I have no idea as to actually how long the UPS would power these but imagine it would be a couple of days. Since I also have a MacBook Air that holds ~10 hours of battery life, An Asus laptop that is good for 6-7 hours and a Microsoft Surface that is good for ~5 hours I could go for close to a full day with still being on-line as long as the cable was still working. With the demands of an aquarium the run time would probably be over a day with a 1200 watt unit even with you doing two tanks if the unit has a high amp potential. I KNOW I'm going to say this wrong but the watts are how much the unit can put out at one time. Amps are related to how long the unit can supply this power.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back