Electric Blue Ram

Xtech

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an Electric Blue Ram (New breed), like the German Blue, with heavy fast breathing.

My stats:
Amm 0ppm
NitrItres 0ppm
NitrAtes 20ppm
GH 4dGH
PH 6.7

72g bow front - a sucessful -heavily planted community tank. He is the only ram in there.

Although, this is a new breed, I find I always have this problem with only rams, whether they blue or gold. They start fast heavy, rapid, breathing and die a couple of weeks later.

I don't know if its parasitic or bacterial. There are no marks found on there body just the rapid breathing.

TIA

I have to take a pic and upload a pic of this beautiful Electric Blue for you to see.

Hi all,

I have an Electric Blue Ram (New breed), like the German Blue, with heavy fast breathing.

My stats:
Amm 0ppm
NitrItres 0ppm
NitrAtes 20ppm
GH 4dGH
PH 6.7

72g bow front - a sucessful -heavily planted community tank. He is the only ram in there.

Although, this is a new breed, I find I always have this problem with only rams, whether they blue or gold. They start fast heavy, rapid, breathing and die a couple of weeks later.

I don't know if its parasitic or bacterial. There are no marks found on there body just the rapid breathing.

TIA

I have to take a pic and upload a pic of this beautiful Electric Blue for you to see.

Hi what is the other stocking?
and is the ram by the surface of at the right bottom?

Angels, cardinals, rummy noses, danios, pearl gourami, and celebes rainbows.

He's bottom dwelling like he should be and eating.

No other bottom dwelling chiclids.

Angels, cardinals, rummy noses, danios, pearl gourami, and celebes rainbows.

He's bottom dwelling like he should be and eating.

No other bottom dwelling chiclids.

how long has the fella been in for?

he may just be a bit panicked :)

what temp is the tank?

It's been a week now. I took my time carefully acclimating him, since they are sensitive fish. 80 degrees F.

My main problem is I can't seem to keep them longer than 6 month's. They go into this rapid breathing mode and darken up with brilliant color , and the last phase is stop eating and die. I tried different LFS in New York here but always end up with the same problem.

I do weekly 50% water changes due to EI for my plants and the fish are doing great otherwise.

I would love to breed these beautiful fish, especially the german blues, but can't find any females at my LFS. First I have to keep them from dying :p

It's been a week now. I took my time carefully acclimating him, since they are sensitive fish. 80 degrees F.

My main problem is I can't seem to keep them longer than 6 month's. They go into this rapid breathing mode and darken up with brilliant color , and the last phase is stop eating and die. I tried different LFS in New York here but always end up with the same problem.

I do weekly 50% water changes due to EI for my plants and the fish are doing great otherwise.

I would love to breed these beautiful fish, especially the german blues, but can't find any females at my LFS. First I have to keep them from dying :p

Sorry I cant be any help but I always have the same problem with rams. Even in pristine water they always cark it on me.

well i guess i get to be the 1st to tell ya on here
rams should be kept at 82F to 84F
other than that nitrAtes should definatly be below 20 ppm preferably 5-10 ppm imo that may be the reason they don't live so long
Good Luck and keep us posted

p.s. would love to see those pics

I would suggest having 0 nitrates, i keep all my tanks 0,0,0. i have heard that with nitrates above 10 they will get ill. also tempo should stay at 82 +/- 2deg

WOW WOW WOW!

LOOKS fantastic!

where did you get it from? and how much was it?

stunner!

WOW WOW WOW!

LOOKS fantastic!

where did you get it from? and how much was it?

stunner!

I know, I was stunned too. I had to get him. Unfortunanetly, there was no females with them in the lfs. I got him in Long Island, NY, where I live. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before there nationwide.

BTW, he's doing great now. Maybe he just needed some time to adjust. Hopefully he will make it past the 6 month mark for me. I'll keep u guys posted.

woah no way is that a real fish!! that is insane majorly jelous now. good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back