Electric Blue "balloon" Rams?

I see all points here but here's my view.

These balloon type/hybrid fish whatever you call them will be in the aquarium trade whether you like it or not, if people like it they will buy it, same thing with Blood Parrots, when some people see them and like them, they buy it.
It's not promoting it, they will still be bred either way.

I would like to see scientific proof that these fish suffer any pain or are less able.
Blood parrots are less able (ie mouths can't close, struggle to eat), but they are still fish that are able to be in the aquarium trade.
If you do not like it, don't buy it, simple.
Its the samething with bettas and different color strains except with the ram its a different body shape.
If you take a dislike, get over it.
No point wasting your time asking why the OP bought the fish, its a pretty fish, so what if you disagree.

Okay, so I see both points here.. Exp: by purchasing them you are promoting the business and leading to more pof them being avalible but really, it's not like having one person not purchase them isn't going to have an impact on the company. Exp:by purchasing one, you aren't doing anything bad, or there is no evidence that they are being harme in the proccess
[MOD EDIT] Sure some people think that it is cruel to genneticly modify a fish just for the money, but it happens all around us, not just with fish. People will go out of there ways to get money. If you have all of these things to say I would like some info to support it. Fortunately ballon rams are not particularely popular among avid fish stores, so they are kinda hard to find, there is no info to tell us that there is something wrong with them, it's not like they are "handi capped" like parrots. So I don't think that there is any negative affect on the fish, even the op said that they are speedy little buggers which means that they are healthy and active, and if there is then I would like to see something that sais that these fish are affected negatively ny negative way

If needs be I could make a wee video of them tomorrow, to show you their behaviour......

[MOD EDIT]

inbreeding with fish isnt the end of the worlsd, it happens in aquaria and in the wild but selecting deformed fish and breeding them is wrong and it is different thatn breeding colouful fish to emphasise there colours. [MOD EDIT]

i understand i come on a bit strong mr melt and im sorry if you thought i did, but i just feel strongly on this subject

No I fully understand your feelings, but I just don't agree with your stance is all; doesn't mean I don't respect them either ;)

Anyways for all those interested heres a picture of the both of them (bloody nightmare catching a decent shot I should add - they love to dart all over the place ¬_¬):

2012-02-18183944.jpg

[MOD EDIT]

inbreeding with fish isnt the end of the worlsd, it happens in aquaria and in the wild but selecting deformed fish and breeding them is wrong and it is different thatn breeding colouful fish to emphasise there colours. [MOD EDIT]

i understand i come on a bit strong mr melt and im sorry if you thought i did, but i just feel strongly on this subject

With all due respect, but you posted a comment on a public thread for everyone to see.They have opinions just as you, that they wanted to express for the topic at hand. Being is that deformities/hybirdization and other issues surrounding fish is a rather touchy topic, that badgering the OP in his thread is going to draw attention. Might I suggest you take it to pm if you want to have such a discussion? You posted it publically, which in all technicality, opens the thought to other opinions, not just those of the OP.

I have cleaned up the tit for tat bickering going on in this thread. Please keep all posts on topic and don't insult other members. Members are reminded to use the report button and then refrain from commenting if they feel any comments are out of line. Any further insults will result in sanctions and the thread being closed. Thanks.

[MOD EDIT]

That's not true. Your opinion does have something to do with me. This is an open, family friendly forum dedicated to expanding our understanding of fish. If you did not want people to comment on your view, then you should have PM-ed the OP; if you felt it pertinent enough. I never once said your opinions weren't correct. I agree that we should do things that are morally correct, in all areas of life- including keeping fish. That is what I am getting on. This is not morally incorrect.

What is your definition of "deformed"? I see deformed as physically unattractive traits such as one eye being bigger than the other, or something that does not occur naturally and can harm the fish. I do not find these fish unattractive, and I do not see them being injured or in distress in any way. Therefore, they do not meet my requirements as being deformed. I never once said you were actually wrong, only that I view this differently and I am explaining my position. That's all.

Fishy friend 2:QFT means "Quoted for Truth".

Mr. Melt : They look lovely.

No I fully understand your feelings, but I just don't agree with your stance is all; doesn't mean I don't respect them either ;)

Anyways for all those interested heres a picture of the both of them (bloody nightmare catching a decent shot I should add - they love to dart all over the place ¬_¬):

2012-02-18183944.jpg
they look very happy and healthy. very pretty fish you have there :drool:

Most reactions

trending

Back