Eggs! What do I do now!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishBearer9845

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I always thought I had all male Corys - am I right in thinking that these are Cory eggs.
They have to be?!?!? I have no nerites in this tank and only corys.
What do I do now?!?!?!
It would be lovely to try and hatch them
Thanks so much!
121378355_811791572988729_3253468362767844092_n.jpg

Yep, look like cory eggs to me too! What a week for cories!

I panicked and didn't know what to do either, lol. Do you have an airstone/airpump? My thread covers a lot of ground, @NCaquatics explains a lot! :D

Here's my thread, hope it helps! Congrats!

Dunno but there seems to be outbreak of Cory eggs this side of the Atlantic these last few days. If they are Corys that’s the third bunch this week I’ve seen pics of on here.
@AdoraBelle Dearheart and @Brendanpat are the others iirc. They were excited and stunned as well.
Best of luck to all three of you.
Tell me about it ! I'm only home from work and I've found more new eggs ! Panic stations again :D

Make that 4 people this week haha ive had 8 different females laying eggs this week alone.

1) Collect the eggs carefully off the glass, place them in a container of water taken from that tank. Use your finger to gently roll them. They look like aeneus eggs, so they won't be overly sticky, just a little.

2) you may keep the container separate or sitting inside the water to keep same temperature.

3) put an airline in the container to keep the water aerated well. Add a few drops of methylene blue or an alder cone to prevent fungus.

4) check couple times a day for fungused eggs and remove these.

5) you can tell if theyre fertile or not by 24 hours after they've been laid. Any that turn bright white are infertile. Best to remove those.

6) they should hatch between 3-5 days depending on species and temperature. Once they hatch, do 90%+ water changes daily on the container, using water taken from the parent tank. Dont feed them right away.

7) 3 days after hatching they can begin being fed baby foods. You can use Hikari First Bites, liquifry, baby brine shrimp, microworms, vinegar eels, etc. Even egg yolk in a pinch. Feed a couple times a day, stay on top of your water changes.

8) at 7 days old, add a thin layer of sand to their container. This increases their survival rate due to the beneficial bacteria in the sand.

continue this regime, steadily increase the foods to crushed flakes and pellets that the adults would eat as they grow.

So I assume you have left the eggs alone and removed the adults. This is what I would do, shut down all your filters the only filter you want on the tank is a sponge ( I found one that was about 5" square and 2" deep and it was perfect ) but any sponge filter will work. Set it up in the front corner of the tank nearest where all the eggs are, run it quietly. You want to put a couple of small stones under it so it sits 3-4 mm off the gravel. All the babies will go there for protection during the day.

Cory fry are shy they feed morning and dusk. Next I set the lights up so you have 2 hours of natural light in the morning a 2 hours in the evening. As long as you can see into the tank that is all you need. When feeding, feed during those periods the fry will actively eat with the dim light, They will hide when the tank lights are on, if you want to inspect the fry do it when the lights are on, just lift the sponge filter and you will find the young, under it. Don't hang around the tank once you have fed the fry they are skittish and will dive away if they see your shadow, just leave them in peace to eat.

Feed them egg yoke as per my method on " First Food " . Note the amount you are feeding is very little it looks like a lot because of the cloud it forms in fact it is a tiny amount of food. I have never had an ammonia spike using egg yoke when fed like this.

I assume the tank is well planted, The plant will act as a biological filter and take away all the nasties. Remember with the fry in the tank you have basically a zero load situation. I water change 25% weekly and clean the sponge filter in the tank water.

If you have any questions ask away I am here to help you out

One more thing infertile eggs can be flicked away with a needle, catch them in a little net if you can. Translucent eggs are the fertile ones!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back