Egged Up, Fat, Or Dieing

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maryland
One of my female cherry barbs is HUGE. Im not really sure whats up. I mean all the females look filled up around there stamachs, but this one is just much much bigger. I guess it could be there filled with eggs, and this one is just the oldest, so thereful has the most eggs. They could also just be eating well, but none of the males (or any other fish in the tank for that matter) are as plump as the females. Or is it the 2 smaller females are eating well, but the huge one is sick?

The behavior I have noticed is fairly normal. There is some chasing between males and females, as well as males and males. I guess this could be because there full of eggs. It could also be aggression. I dont know. Sometimes they chase each other, then out of nowhere they stop. Could be there done, or could be the one being chased has decided to hide, so the other stopped since it cant find hte other. Not sure. Based on these observations, anyone have any idea whats up?

Thanks

One more thing I might mention. 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 7 Nitrates, lots of real plant hiding. This might help say if spawning or not.
 
One of my female cherry barbs is HUGE. Im not really sure whats up. I mean all the females look filled up around there stamachs, but this one is just much much bigger. I guess it could be there filled with eggs, and this one is just the oldest, so thereful has the most eggs. They could also just be eating well, but none of the males (or any other fish in the tank for that matter) are as plump as the females. Or is it the 2 smaller females are eating well, but the huge one is sick?

The behavior I have noticed is fairly normal. There is some chasing between males and females, as well as males and males. I guess this could be because there full of eggs. It could also be aggression. I dont know. Sometimes they chase each other, then out of nowhere they stop. Could be there done, or could be the one being chased has decided to hide, so the other stopped since it cant find hte other. Not sure. Based on these observations, anyone have any idea whats up?

Thanks

One more thing I might mention. 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 7 Nitrates, lots of real plant hiding. This might help say if spawning or not.

I have 1 Cherry Barb that is as you described and has been like that for 2 weeks.
 
Here is the best I could get. Ill try for some more, but as of now, its all I got.
PDR_0006.jpg

PDR_0008.jpg


And pics for fun
PDR_0009.jpg

PDR_0017.jpg

PDR_0022.jpg

PDR_0014.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top