Effect Of Temporarily Stopping Easycarbo

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tonyb111111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
We are off on holiday for two weeks and have may elderly monster in law looking after the house while we are away. Got all the food pre-measured into a pill dispenser so that should be a safe bet. I do not however trust her to measure out 5ml of Easycarbo on a daily basis, so the question is if I do not add this for two weeks will I come back to any adverse effects in my tank?

There will be some difference, but it will soon start to recover when you get back into the swing of things. What is happening with your lights? They will be the main driver for your plants.

Major algae would be the first thing mate, could measure out the carbon in 7 small medicine pots or syringes?

minnnt said:
There will be some difference, but it will soon start to recover when you get back into the swing of things. What is happening with your lights? They will be the main driver for your plants.

Lights will be going from 7 to 5 hrs, maybe even 4 while I'm away, on a timer. Was hoping the reduced lighting will reduce the need to add the Easycarbo and prevent algae

ps3steveo said:
Major algae would be the first thing mate, could measure out the carbon in 7 small medicine pots or syringes?

Yep, that my concern. I battled long and hard to get the balance right in my tank and get rid of the algae, I don't want it back. As above, was hoping that reducing the lighting will reduce the algae in the absence of the Easycarbo. I am also looking today to get some syringes and prefill them ready for the holiday, just got to find where to get them

Go to asda or tesco,s chemist counter they have them there for dispensing kids medicine I get mine from there most times they dont charge you for them.

A chemist will have them. If you find somehwere that does a needle exchange you will be sorted. :good:

Haveagojoe said:
Go to asda or tesco,s chemist counter they have them there for dispensing kids medicine I get mine from there most times they dont charge you for them.

Cheers, i thought about that. But I pictured this old woman pouring the carbo into a 5ml measuring spoon and getting 10ml overflow into the tank doing it lol

minnnt said:
A chemist will have them. If you find somehwere that does a needle exchange you will be sorted. :good:

Cheers, you must live in a rough part of the country
laugh.gif

Haveagojoe said:

Cheers, i thought about that. But I pictured this old woman pouring the carbo into a 5ml measuring spoon and getting 10ml overflow into the tank doing it lol

No m8 you get the syringes there they use as I said for kids meds I didnt mean the spoons

Haveagojoe said:
Tonyb111111 said:
Haveagojoe said:

No m8 you get the syringes there they use as I said for kids meds I didnt mean the spoons

Great stuff, didn't realise they did syringes for kids medicine measures. Boots it is then

why not just drop the photoperiod to 4 hours??

add a double dose before you go away mate. i guess no water changes will be carried out while youre away? so it shoule be fine. it would take more than 2 weeks for algae to take over the tank surely?

add a double dose before you go away mate. i guess no water changes will be carried out while youre away? so it shoule be fine. it would take more than 2 weeks for algae to take over the tank surely?
It can come on pretty quick. I ran out of co2 the other day and had to scrub some algae of my wood the next day. I use kid medicine syringes too. The pharmacy lady gave me 5 of em for nothing. They hold exactly 5ml so I use one to pull out water to test as well.

don't double the dose. The half life of liquid carbon is only 12 hours, this is even if you were to dose 500mls.

Drop the photoperiod, this means less demand on the plants, this also gives algae less chance to bloom.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back