Effect of sand on plants

jonathanscottlee

Reaction score
Is it true that having just sand as substrate in your tank is bad for your plants? I thought it was a good thing because the roots can really grow properly. However, I've heard that just sand alone can compact roots and kill them.

I want to put just sand in my tank but does anyone have any advice on this?

Well, just sand doesnt have alot of food for a plant. Fish poo in addition to food will help alot though.

As far as compacting, yes it could- but I've never had that problem.

Right now I'm set up as sand/soil. I.E Sand layered over garden soil/peat moss.
Everything grows beautifully. :)

Roots will normally move sand- plant roots can even lift a house foundation,lol.

Best luck I've ever had was with sand/peat/soil.

I use sand in all my tanks and from the plants I use I have experienced better results, I hardly vacum any fish waste up instead leaving it for the plants. Sand however; is compact and new shoots or plants with delicate root systems sometimes find it hard to get started. There are fertilizers you can buy made especailly for planted tanks. :)

I only use sand as well. Swimming pool filter sand is what I've found to be the best because it doesn't pack down to the same extent as say Silver Sand.

Consider, most aquatic plants grow in a substrate of sand, silt, mud and gunk, (very smelly gunk as well I might add - I've collected my own plants - can be an unpleasant task!).

Yeah you can, but carefully.lol.

Add about a one to two inch layer of the dirt then sand over the top. I used more, but that's me not you. If you add too much it can muck your tank up I would think.

Don't use dirt that has chemicals in it, ;) .

Thanks for all your help guys - just 1 remaining question...

Where do I get pool filter sand from? Will they have it at garden centres?

Cheers,
JOn

Have a look in Yellow Pages under Pool stuff, there are suprisingly many. I had a pool supply shop within walking distance of my house actually, (although lugging a damn great sack of sand home isn't my idea of a fun way to spend an afternoon!). I don't know if they'd sell it at a garden centre, although some garden centres have swimming pool franchises in them.

You can also buy heaters for your sand substrate. The heat will create a water flow in your sand to some extent, keeping it aerated and therefore keeping it from becoming compacted. I know if you have a sand substrate and some areas where there are no plants, the sand can become stagnant and makes it hard to grow things there. The heating will help prevent this. You can also periodically shift your sand around a bit, poking into it with a stick every once so often will probably be enough to keep it from compacting.

Most reactions

Back